Tethering Question

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yesterday my Rooted Droid 2 took a dump, and wouldn't boot up. Have had no issues with it up until yesterday. Did a data wipe and factory reset from booting into recovery. Used Titanium Backup to re-install all my apps.

Interesting enough, I did not re-root the phone. I still had root after the data wipe/factory reset. Still had Superuser icon in my app drawer, entered "su" into Terminal Emulator and got the "#" symbol.

So I went to test the Wireless Tether on my laptop. Started the app, my laptop connected to it. When I opened my browser, it took me to a VZW.com page about "Mobile Hotspot" with a link to the page to sign up for Mobile Hotspot. Needless to say, I didn't sign up. :p

Anyone have any ideas on what I need to do? I don't use the tethering much, except when I'm on the road with work and need to check email, etc. I'm not downloading movies or music or using it as a permanent connection, I have high speed cable at home for that. :biggrin:

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dfit18

Reaction score
im assuming you are on 2.3.x. when the gb update came out vzw cracked down on the "free" wireless tether. there is a way to get around it using a program called radiocom. google for instructions. it is not an easy process but it can be done, the other option is to sbf back to 2.2

Jonas

Reaction score
Just a heads up, doing a factory reset only resets user data, so you will never lose root from a factory reset. You'll have to SBF to undo a root.

Sent from my Banana Phone.