Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I don't download enough apps or music to justify Google prying into my life more than they already do. Members on our S3 forum have shared similar surveys that had you scratching your head and saying wow, they track the &$!= out of me to know the type of stuff they're asking in these surveys. I know this doesn't bother most folks, but for .15 cents to maybe a dollar or two a month, I'll pass.

S5 tap'n

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Dezymind, can I ask how old are you?
cr6, just saying, you really dont have to be honest, y'know?

TapaTurbo

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Dezymind, can I ask how old are you?
cr6, just saying, you really dont have to be honest, y'know?

TapaTurbo
Don't know what age has to do with it but I'm in my 20s. And that's all I'll say :p

If the surveys are location based then I admit I don't go out much and have location reporting turned off. And if that's how it works I'll be uninstalling the app

Last edited:
OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
They are not all location based.
I asked your age thinking if you were a teenager they might not poll you.

TapaTurbo

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
They are not all location based.
I asked your age thinking if you were a teenager they might not poll you.

TapaTurbo
They don't poll the teen population? Really? That's the age group that would happily take polls, especially if they're compensated with money

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Just guessing. I assume of your under 18, they don't want you.

TapaTurbo

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I got one after every trip to Walgreen's for a while there. Easy money. I don't mind then knowing I stop there on occasion. They already know it's on my way to work.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I know this is off topic and t's been almost a week but an update on play rewards

I think they are both location and search history based. I've earned $1.97 in just a week

I get at least one survey every day... ranging from places I've been to things I've searched for... anything from 2 questions to 5

pretty easy I'd say, and they already have my search and location history so no biggie imho

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I know this is off topic and t's been almost a week but an update on play rewards

I think they are both location and search history based. I've earned $1.97 in just a week

I get at least one survey every day... ranging from places I've been to things I've searched for... anything from 2 questions to 5

pretty easy I'd say, and they already have my search and location history so no biggie imho
Yeah. They're definitely using location for sure. Like I think I said earlier, I get one almost every time I go to Walgreens. I also had a business trip down to Madison, Wi a few weeks ago and I got surveys about things in the area of the city we were in.

What's funny is that I also get surveys asking if I've ever been to/heard of some companies that I've never even heard of.

The last really funny survey I had paid me some change for telling it I was male. They've got all of that data on me. My gender should be confirmed in their database since I setup my G+ profile and told it I was male. Haha

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah. They're definitely using location for sure. Like I think I said earlier, I get one almost every time I go to Walgreens. I also had a business trip down to Madison, Wi a few weeks ago and I got surveys about things in the area of the city we were in.

What's funny is that I also get surveys asking if I've ever been to/heard of some companies that I've never even heard of.

The last really funny survey I had paid me some change for telling it I was male. They've got all of that data on me. My gender should be confirmed in their database since I setup my G+ profile and told it I was male. Haha
It is in their data base but doesn't cross over to other things such as the surveys. Cyberdine doesn't care if you're male. They don't care if you're young or old. They'll never stop until you're.....
cue terminator theme now.
In all seriousness these surveys take a sample from age groups, genders and general locations to get a better understanding of their target audience. I used to do one that paid in Amazon gift cards until it got bought out by another company and you had to pay a yearly fee to get surveyed. As an example, Target will use the service company to help decide what to carry in their cosmetics department before doing a store reset because companies such as Revlon pay for shelf space so Target wants to get paid by them for the space but maximize sales on top of it to turn over inventory, thus improve profits per square foot of shelf space. Revlon itself may use the service before deciding whether or not to buy said shelf space in Target. Retail shelf space is the cash cow like data is to cellular carriers.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Last edited:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I always just assumed that any data Google has on my from any one of their services was all pooled together for demographics purposes. And I don't think we'll have to worry about Google selling this off. Maybe shutting it down some day, but I think it's highly unlikely given their position in the advertising game. It's costing them very little to gather tons of data from all over the place.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
OK. Maybe they weren't using location data? Or they're just now letting me know? Either way, I got 10 cents for saying "OK. I got it."

I already have location turned on, so I'm guessing they didn't check first?
6fdf3c2ff4294ea18bfb7b1fdee84379.jpg

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Followup: Textra still has not asked me for money or shown me an ad...