The Droid that swam in the washing machine - and woke up in a coma!

NayusDante

Reaction score
After an incident involving someone forgetting to check their pockets before doing laundry, I now have a "broken" Droid sitting in front of me. For a day or so, it didn't even turn on. Eventually, reinserting the battery brought up the bootloader. I tried flashing a stock Verizon SBF, which sort of works. Booting up the phone after flashing goes back to the bootloader, but holding X brings up the recovery screen where I can install update.zip or clear data. I can definitely flash it with SBFs, but I can't get it to boot up into anything but the bootloader or the recovery screen.

The phone has already been replaced and won't have service, but I'd like to get it in somewhat functional condition, even if the screen has water splotches all over. Any suggestions?

felbel

Reaction score
Did you try a bag of rice overnight? I'm sure it won't cure it, but it may help the water spots.

tranz

Reaction score
This problem is as old as cellphones and PalmPilots. The damage is pretty much done. By now you may well have done enough googling to have found that out.

I have a neat little Olympus camera that was made to get wet, and people like 'em and buy 'em. The solution is as simple as it is unlikely. Consumers need to demand and BUY better phones. There was an outfit called Nexus that had rugged phones, but I think Sprint swallowed them up. Instead of durable stuff we have disposable junk with monthly "insurance" fees. I'd sure like an option, but I've pretty much given up on the idea. At least I've got my Toughbook!