This Is Why Huawei Decided Not To Make The Pixel

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

The Nexus 6P was the first glimpse the major US audience had of the international Juggernaut Huawei. The initial collaboration was a very successful venture for Huawei which has made the company a household name in the very niche market of Android super fans. The collab was so successful that Google was considering Huawei for the Pixel and Pixel XL. Huawei ultimately turned down the opportunity after discovering that Google would only be including their own branding on the Pixel. The Nexus 6P had the benefit of including the Huawei branding.

If you were not in the know then you would not know that HTC is the manufacturer of the Pixel devices. This is not what Huawei wanted. They are trying to increase their reputation in the US and this might have been a waste of time in their mind. The relationship between Google and Huawei is not tainted though, and they appear to be working on a device with Google for release in 2017. Do you think Huawei miss out on a grand opportunity.

via Winfuture

kinfolk248

Reaction score

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
...I would have liked a Huawei pixel much more than HTC. HTC is just dead and boring in the design and aesthetics department.

Agreed and the Grammar Nazi in me enjoys your proper usage of the phrase "would have."

image_zpsi47l1lck.jpg

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm just bustin' your chops. <grin>

Don't admit to driving and texting on this website. There's a lot of folks here that think that's more dangerous than skydiving without a parachute and should be a capital offense.

kinfolk248

Reaction score
I'm just bustin' your chops. <grin>

Don't admit to driving and texting on this website. There's a lot of folks here that think that's more dangerous than skydiving without a parachute and should be a capital offense.
I know, twas part of the joke.

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
Google designed the phone, not HTC.
Think of HTC as a glorified 3D printer.
Nope I read it or seen a video that said the Google came to HTC about making an Google phone. HTC gave them the design that they had for an future HTC phone that got dropped. When I find the article or video I will post it.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

kinfolk248

Reaction score
Nope I read it or seen a video that said the Google came to HTC about making an Google phone. HTC gave them the design that they had for an future HTC phone that got dropped. When I find the article or video I will post it.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk
Yea the Pixel is most definitely a HTC base design.

I took recall such an article of the same caliber.

DesktopDevin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
I think this is the article you may be referring to ... Was the Google Pixel built in a mere 9 months? It would explain a lot...

Take a look at the pics of motherboards very similar to an A9.

Also this interesting nugget of info

Over at XDA Developers, people are finding more and more evidence that HTC's involvement went beyond being a Foxconn-style manufacturer. The Pixel and Pixel XL kernels contain over 350 commits from HTC engineers, and a mysterious "htc_cerberus" label was stripped out of the source code. Thanks to Android security research Jon "Justin Case" Sawyer, we also know HTC did work on the Pixel bootchain. Sawyer describes the Pixels as having "a standard HTC bootchain" that is "written and signed by HTC."

That "HTC Cerberus" reference is interesting since it sounds a lot like a device codename. "Cerberus" is a three-headed dog monster from Greek mythology, and HTC often likes to name its in-development devices after figures from Greek mythology. Take a look at this list of HTC devices, and you see projects named after constellations, like Libra, Leo, and Gemini, and Greek deities like Nike, Athena, Phoebus, Hermes, Artemis, and Atlas. "Cerberus" would be right at home in that list. Was "HTC Cerberus" the codename of an HTC-branded device that eventually morphed into a Google/HTC project?

Last edited: