Verizon / Non-Verizon CDMA on a Droid Pro ... ANYBODY ???

aiamuzz

Reaction score
Hi,

1. People who are running Verizon on your Droid Pro ... do u run with the verizon CDMA SIM Card or are ur phones(devices) programmed to run a verizon network without a CDMA SIM ?

2. Is anybody running a non-verizon CDMA connection on our Motorola Droid Pro XT610 either in US or outside US ? If Yes ! ... then have u had ur phones (devices) re-programmed to ur respective CDMA networks or are u using a CDMA SIM issued by ur respective CDMA networks ?

Thnx.

--- Sent from my DROID Pro ---

ayoungf

Reaction score
I have a Droid Pro and I have a SIM card in mine as it is a global phone. I think it will work without it as long as the phone is within the CDMA coverage area.

OP
A

aiamuzz

Reaction score
I have a Droid Pro and I have a SIM card in mine as it is a global phone. I think it will work without it as long as the phone is within the CDMA coverage area.

You say you have a SIM card in ur phone is that SIM for ur verizon number ???

So if one is outside the CDMA coverage area ... then u use a CDMA SIM for the same verizon number ... else the verizon number works even without the SIM ???

Is that what u meant ?

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2

ayoungf

Reaction score
Well I have a Verizon phone number that I have had for longer than i have had my Moto Droid Pro and it has a Sim card for the GSM network if I were to travel abroad. I think that if you were to travel abroad you would have to activate the Global feature to ensure that your phone would work. The CDMA home network is the one here and not overseas. I know that the global feature is pricey but i bet its cheaper than the roaming charges. Hope this helps.

ayoungf

Reaction score
Oh your phone number will stay the same here or overseas no matter what coverage ares your in.

OP
A

aiamuzz

Reaction score
@ayoungf ... thanks for the effort ... i am still in the middle of uncertainty on this matter ... let my try to be a li'l clearer ...

For GSM network ... a SIM card is mandatory ... as we all know ...

But for CDMA network ... that's not the case ... CDMA network has 2 ways of working ...

Method - 1
=======
CDMA first came out (atleast in our region - India) where the handset were pre-programmed thru the device ESN number ... and were locked to operator issuing the phone ... a SIM card was never an option then.

Method - 2
=======
Then there was a consortium called the 'Open-Handset-Alliance' (OMH) that was setup by device manufactures ... here the device manufacturer's would manufacture CDMA devices which will no longer be bound my the operator issuing the phone, but rather CDMA handset's which will be available in the open market alongside their GSM cousins ...

In such type of handsets the CDMA connection is established by way of a SIM card which is called an OMH SIM card ... So all one has to do is buy an OMH(CDMA) handset of your choice from the open market and connect thru an OMH SIM ... this way the user will have the freedom to switch between CDMA operators without having to switch phones as well ... exactly in the way a GSM handset works with GSM operators.

So basically my idea of starting this thread was to know if our DP's are OMH SIM ready ... so far i know for sure that our DP works through the ESN way ...

but what i would like to know is, if while travelling abroad, will a Verizon customer, apart from being able to use the global feature by adding a GSM SIM be able to choose a foreign CDMA network operator SIM as well, for use on a Global Droid Pro ?

Same way as an Iphone 4S which is a Global phone too ... which handles GSM SIM as well as a CDMA SIM(OMH) !!!

So far my efforts at Investigating this have led me to believe that our DP's SIM slot is connected to the CDMA radio as well, along with its confirmed GSM SIM functionality ...

This is what i did ... I loaded my Reliance CDMA(OMH) SIM card into my Droid Pro ... to my pleasant surprise i could see the network coverage bars pick up a very good and strong operator network (with the CDMA only or CDMA/GSM network type chosen) ... further i was prompted to an activation wizard which connected to this Reliance network ... with a welcome message and instructions to activate my handset voiced out to me ... however i was not able to activate my CDMA network successfully ...

but the fact that the operators IVR interacted with me is proof enough that the SIM Slot is indeed connected to the CDMA Hardware(radios) ... Its a different matter as to whether verizon has locked the CDMA radio for use on any other non-verizon CDMA network ... even it was from outside the US ...

There is only one way to know if this for sure ... Contact Verizon !!!

It would be my kind request to you '@ayoungf', with your long standing verizon account ...

If you could contact your verizon customer support and ask them if you'll be able to use a foreign CDMA operators OMH SIM card as well on your DP ... in the same way one can use a GSM SIM ... If 'Yes' ... then is there some unlocking that needs to be done separately for foreign CDMA networks ... or ... the GSM unlocking is enough to handle even the foreign CDMA operators OMH SIM cards ... like an Iphone 4S does.

thanks in advance !!!