Wireless Tether Question

crazyjoejoe

Reaction score
I have a quick question.

After I downloaded the new liberty 3.0.1 it had and updated to the new droid operating system it had a 3g mobile app installed on the phone. My question is, if I use it will there be extra charges on my phone? I have the data package but will it cover me?

I heard that on some of the new phones if you want to use the wireless tethering you have to pay and extra 20$ a month on top of the data package.

Can anyone help?

Vaffanculo

Reaction score
In order to use wireless tether for free, flash the Team Black Hat tethering patch (search Google for it). I use that and the app Wifi Tether Beta and it works fine. On the PC you tether to the phone I'd recommend manually specifying a DNS server too, I use Open DNS's servers.

OP
C

crazyjoejoe

Reaction score
I had a tethering app on my phone before that I found on the internet but I cannot find it again. Wish I knew where that sucker was...

Savagerun

Reaction score
OP
C

crazyjoejoe

Reaction score
Ok one more question. My buddy called verizon and asked the rep if he had to pay a monthly fee to wireless tether. The rep said that if he paid for an app and wireless tethered from it, its his phone and he can do whatever he wants to with it. They cannot stop you from doing so.

Kind of a grey area there but if you stay under your monthly data plan you should be fine. Should I just pay for an app and do it that way? Or will I still have to pay the extra monthly fee?

Savagerun

Reaction score
If you try to tether without installing the tether patch you will be redirected to the verizon sight to agree to pay for tethering. Doesn't matter if you buy a tether app or get one for free. The tether patch is very easy to install with your droid2 bootstrap and it will block verizon from knowing your tethering. The patch will take you two minutes to install then you won't have to worry about verizon.
EDIT... Since your on liberty already you can boot into recovery from your power button to install the patch. Don't use droid2 bootstrap.
Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Last edited:

Savagerun

Reaction score
Copy, Thanks

No problem. If you need a step by step how to install the patch let me know otherwise just follow the directions in that link. It's straight forward and simple.

OP
C

crazyjoejoe

Reaction score
Ok, I download and installed the patch. Is there anyway to tell if its working?

Savagerun

Reaction score
Yes. Should be a tether app in your app drawer now so just open the app and try to tether with it. As long as your not redirected to the verizon page your good to go.