To my understanding, the SIM card automatically updates. If you dial *228 you may fry your SIM card.

*228 should never be called on a 4G phone. It can burn up your 4G sim card. I believe there is another number to dial for 4G phone activation, but I dont know it off the top of my head.

Did this the other day. Didn't fry my sim card. Everything is working just fine. If you add *228 as a contact phone number, it will call it. (I actually did *22899, same thing, just don't have to press a number when it connects.)

That being said, there is a large consensus that this could fry your sim. I personally have a feeling this was started as hearsay and has grown to be the "truth". However, if it messes anything up whatsoever, its not my fault. Also, 4g automatically updates new towers, so other seems to be no need for *228 on a 4g phone.

Survivor of the Great 2011 Verizon Google Samsung Galaxy Nexus Prime Debacle and proud owner of a Galaxy Nexus and Original Droid 1/Milestone. Sent from my Sexy Lexus Galaxy Nexus.

yea mine would just say call not sent, so I dont think any frying happened, but its good to know they auto update. Wouldnt have thought they did something that intelligent.

Did this the other day. Didn't fry my sim card. Everything is working just fine. If you add *228 as a contact phone number, it will call it. (I actually did *22899, same thing, just don't have to press a number when it connects.)

That being said, there is a large consensus that this could fry your sim. I personally have a feeling this was started as hearsay and has grown to be the "truth". However, if it messes anything up whatsoever, its not my fault. Also, 4g automatically updates new towers, so other seems to be no need for *228 on a 4g phone.

Survivor of the Great 2011 Verizon Google Samsung Galaxy Nexus Prime Debacle and proud owner of a Galaxy Nexus and Original Droid 1/Milestone. Sent from my Sexy Lexus Galaxy Nexus.

I too did this without any issues and I also had the number stored in contacts as PRL update. I don't know if I believe the whole fry your sim card thing.....

How could it fry the sim card? Is there like a special frying option that VZW uses when dialing *228? Someone is sitting in a room waiting for people with 4g phones to dial *228 and when someone does he hits the self-destruct button!

I know the forum search tools won't look up anything as short as 228, but I'm willing to bet that there are one or more threads on this topic in each of the device forums. It's even discussed about the Thunderbolt. Just sayin'.

It's ridiculous, you CANNOT fry your sim by dialing *228. It doesn't work. Do you realize how many sim cards they'd have to replace if this was the case? *228 doesn't work for a reason.

LOL!!!! you got me good! ok.... how did it taste:p

Back