maslan

Reaction score
Just curious why they release 4.0.3 to the Asus Prime - but not to the flagship phone? I know - i could root and get it - but just thought it was interesting.

Just curious why they release 4.0.3 to the Asus Prime - but not to the flagship phone? I know - i could root and get it - but just thought it was interesting.

Its lame

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Probably fewer Asus Prime users than Nexus users, translating to lower risk in deployment. Also, Prime is a tablet, not a phone. Lower complexity, less to test before deployment.

Once again, this is a great reason to buy a Nexus - you WILL get updates faster than other phones, but if you don't like the pace, you can take control and get a ROM from the dev community. Just on D/F there are 10 different ROMs listed.

Don't forget that the Nexus is chained to Verizon and the prime is not. Verizon might have a role in any update delay. That's why rooting and going a step ahead is a must :biggrin:

Once again, this is a great reason to buy a Nexus - you WILL get updates faster than other phones

Just not faster than tablets lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Keep in mind - even though it's a Nexus, Google experience, developer phone, it's still tied to Verizon. I doubt we'll see any updates straight from Google without Verizon's blessing since it will be deployed on their network. I wish it was as simple as "4.0.3 is available in git so here's your official 4.0.3 update." However, I have a feeling VZW is running it through their "testing" process. Given what happened with the release, I think VZW has more control over this device than a lot of people realize/would like them to have.

The GOOD news is, unlocking and flashing 4.0.3 is about as easy as you can get. There are multiple how-to posts here on DF, xda, rootzwiki, androidforums, etc... There is enough support, that if there are any people who are unsure, they can simply pop in the forum and ask and get an answer rather quickly. If anybody has a link to the vanilla 4.0.3, that would be handy. I've seen AOSP, but most have some sort of modification done to them and it'd be nice if someone could post the full, unadulterated, ready-to-flash, AOSP 4.0.3.

If you're scared about unlocking/rooting/roming, don't be. Respect the process, but don't be scared of it. Learn what you can from the howtos, ask questions if you have any, watch youtube videos that literally walk you through the process. Then, when you're ready to start, take it slow and meticulous. It's not easy to brick a phone, but it's not impossible. Make sure you have a full charge and your phone stays plugged in. Copy the commands exactly. Double check before you press enter. Your first one is always the most nerve racking because you don't know if it's gonna work. Then it does, and it's awesome.

I would greatly appreciate the Vanilla 4.0.3 update as well.

There might be one somewhere over on rootzwiki or xda... but I can't find one at the moment. I can see people asking howto and giving advice, but nobody has posted one (at least not that I can find, and I didn't search too deep)

I have been curious about building AOSP myself, just to say I did it... so I'm gonna give it a shot. If I get a vanilla, AOSP 4.0.3 working before someone else finds one, I'll post it here. This will be all new to me, so no guarantees and no idea how long this will take... but should be interesting :)

I thought that was odd too, but more odd is that the Wifi Xoom hasn't gotten the 4.0.3 update either. That one is controlled by Google as the tablet dev platform. At least mine hasn't gotten the update.

Bah I'm not waiting much longer for the 4.03 OTA. If Verizon wants to hold up and 'test' until approving Google's update then they can go for it. This is one of the reasons I got a Nexus. I will flash a custom dev ROM that has what I want then. :D

That update bricked my prime. Looks like the nexus is still the best device around

I've been on 4.0.3 for quite some time now. To hell with Verizon's updates. Its going to be lean on features compared to what the dev community pushes out

Does 4.0.3 fix most of the issues we see on 4.0.2 with connection issues and lower data speeds?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Back