A Few Questions About Updating to an ICS Leak...

HMBBabyface

Reaction score
I'm looking to finally upgrade to ICS now that there's a solid option! Problem is I've not done much with my phone for quite some time and I'm still on Eclipse 2.1 (a .901 build). I'm not exactly "new" to this (I had a D1 and have installed roms before on the Bionic) but it would be very helpful if someone would answer a few questions for me as though I am new because I've basically forgotten everything.

1) Which is more stable/has fewer bugs? .232 or .230? I've read as much as I can but can't seem to find a good reason to pick one or the other, even though .232 is newer. I'm looking to pick one and stick with it until we get a final build (unless something shiny comes out, then who knows).

2) I have the original Safestrap. I remember how to access it and tell it to install .zip files, but how do I make sure I install ICS onto the partition that boots automatically? (is that the "safe" side or the "unsafe" side?)

3) Most importantly: what do I need to do to properly go from .901 to .23X? I know I need to go to .902 but then I'm not sure what I should be using. I'd like to keep root (or re-root) when all is said and done. I don't care about keeping data/apps. In fact, I'd prefer a completely clean wipe. If someone could give me a brief (but comprehensive) step-by-step here, I'd be forever grateful.

Thank you to anyone willing to help me!

If you use Safestrap at all, you need to get rid of it fully because it hoses the preinstall partition, and ICS will not install. You need to do this by fully FXZing back to 5.9.902 and allowing it to update to 5.9.905 - the leaks can only be installed over .905

I would recommend 6.7.232, as not only is it the newest, it has the most "polish" and seems release ready.

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with getting off of .901, since i've never tried that build. So i'll let someone else answer that part.

I don't ever use the safestrap bit of it, I just don't know of a better way to do it. If I need to get rid of it, how do I do that and what do I replace it with?

You need to use RSDlite to flash an FXZ file on to the bionic, which will bring you to 902. There are a couple of sticky threads here in this forum that have highly detailed instructions on how to do so. Then you'll get the OTA 905 update, and move the ICS zip file on to your sd card. You'll boot into "recovery" by turning off the phone, holding down vol up and vol down, and powering up the phone, and selecting recovery. You'll then select "apply update from sd card", then select the ICS zip file from the sd card, and let it update for quite a while.

Don't use this as a guide to do it, look through the other threads on this forum and you'll find detailed and specific information about how to do it all. This is just kind of a general overview of what needs to be done. Good luck! Really you won't need luck, cause it's pretty easy.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

What do I need to do about Eclipse and Safestrap? If I FXZ to .902 (stock?), will it overwrite both of those and give me a "clean", unrooted Bionic (as though I had picked it up from Verizon that way)?

HMBBabyface said:
What do I need to do about Eclipse and Safestrap? If I FXZ to .902 (stock?), will it overwrite both of those and give me a "clean", unrooted Bionic (as though I had picked it up from Verizon that way)?

RSDlite is the tool used by verizon to flash phones back to uniform stock, so yes, it will clear off everything and return it to actual factory condition. It will leave your SD card alone, so feel safe that you wont lose your stuff on that, but it will clear out your 8 GB internal storage.

Driod Bionic ICED 232

Just to be sure (I'm still not 100% comfortable with what's going on here)...

I want to follow this: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/mo...-5-893-fxz-901-902-compatible-902-update.html up to step 5. (do I need to do motofail and cheesecake?)

Which will put me on 5.9.902, stock, unrooted, Verizon flavor. I then will do an OTA update to .905.

I can then boot into stock recovery (I don't need to put on safestrap/bootstrap?) and use the .232 ICS .zip file to bring myself to a modern ROM.

Is this correct?

And, assuming the above is correct, how do I get root once I'm on ICS?

3) Most importantly: what do I need to do to properly go from .901 to .23X? I know I need to go to .902 but then I'm not sure what I should be using. I'd like to keep root (or re-root) when all is said and done. I don't care about keeping data/apps. In fact, I'd prefer a completely clean wipe. If someone could give me a brief (but comprehensive) step-by-step here, I'd be forever grateful.

Thank you to anyone willing to help me!

I had to do the manual update from .901 to .902. The file I used is at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/szfoyuuanvy57gi/iL3TMd0PG9/Blur_Version.5.9.901.XT875.Verizon.en.US.zip I don't know if this'll work or if it breaks root. Assuming it works, you can pull .905 and then go to ICS.

I recommend flashing to 902 and waiting til you are safely in 232 to use razrs edge to one click root ICS. As far as 901 to 902 and then 905, they will pop on system updates if you check it and nothing is needed to get you there. You do not need cheesecake if you have the 905-232 update file, and you can use stock recovery to find it without any renaming to apply it.
I went the very hard route from Eclipse and ended up having to do it this way anyway.

Driod Bionic ICED 232

I think I'm in good shape now.

RSD to wipe my phone and send me to .902. OTA to .905. Stock recovery (volume up/down + power) to install the ICS file. Razrs Edge to regain root.

The only part that's a bit fuzzy to me right now is using stock recovery. Why don't I need to install something like SP Recovery (from the D1)? Will the standard recovery allow me to make nandroid backups and install from .zip files?

We were just discussing getting you into ICS 232 and rooted. Anything past that I have no idea. I suspect bionic bootstrap will still work, but since I'm back to stock rom it will be a while before I have the need to nandroid again.

Driod Bionic ICED 232

I guess .232 is considered "stock", right? I'm less concerned about the nandroid (especially with RSD) and more concerned about installing .zip files. Are there any tricks to it or will it be very obvious which option to choose? (I like to know the ENTIRE process before I jump into something)

Djrbliss has created one click roots for all of the bionic,RAZR,D4 family....Motofail works perfectly for GB...RAZRs Edge for ICS...use RSD lite 5.7 and the latest (as in LATEST, barely came out before the leaks started comin') drivers. Install RSD lite, get sargentmajords newest 902 FXZ file from one of his 893/902/905 threads. Plug in your phone via USB to your computer start RSD lite. power off your phone leaving it plugged in with outside sources and usb debugging on. hold down your volume DOWN ONLY and power to boot direct into fastboot app, RSD lit will immediately recognize the phone. As soon as you have confirmed that RSD "sees"the phone (and you have the statements "battery good", and "OK to program" on your phone display in tiny green letters), Browse RSD to the 902FXZ and select decompress and start flashing.
It will work itself through 21 separate sequences and reboot several times don't touch it. after 20 minutes look over on the side of RSD lite and see if it says "passed". If so take your phone off RSD lite, reboot it, check the battery and run check for updates to get the 905 OTA. Once the 905 has taken, connect it to your computer and slap the install image of 30 or 32 or whicher you decide on (I'm on 32, one of the first flashes of it, and I love it) on your sdcard-ext. Then power off your phone. Hold both volume buttons and the power button to get to droid with caution sign (and opened up chest panel in ICS. hold volume down only to go to the menu, scroll to the "install from SD" and select, get the .32 in your sights and pull the trigger on it! withn about 20 minutes you'll be up in ICS, now go into recovery and do clear data factory reset, and then erase cache partition. When you boot iot back up install RAZRs EDGE and root it. Go the market and update SU becuase it now has beta versions of all the features in voodoo rootkeeper built in.

Keep in mind that this is still just a leak. Most consider this to be as close to OTA qualified as it can get. But we only just got it and the devs are in motion. As far as custom recoveries and installing zip files are concerned, I don't think we are that far yet.
It will be OTA first before they tear it apart to see exactly what we will be able to do with it once everyone has it.

Driod Bionic ICED 232

I think I'm ready to try it. Wish me luck! (I'll need it, last time I hosed my system.img file without a second thought...that was fun to fix.)

Huge thanks to everyone! (Is there a way for me to "upvote" you or something? I'm not a regular around here.)

Back