About to get a droid, but first a "tethering" question

DaveTheRave

Reaction score
Hi all!

I am in the process of upgrading to a Droid Razr Max. But before I do, I'm trying to find out if "tethering" is still possible without signing up for the $20/month "wifi hot spot" service with Verizon. If I have to pay it, I will, but want to find out if it is necessary.

I'd like to use my Droid to connect my laptop to the internet. But must this be done via the wifi hot spot feature? (Yes, I'm cheap - so if I can save $20/month I will).

I only plan to "tether" occasionally, and as the data plan allows.

Thanks!

Download FoxFi in the play store. I put that on my girlfriends Razr this past weekend, it works great and doesn't require being rooted.

Quick follow-up...

I like the FoxFi app. Seems to work fine. But so far I've noticed that when I use to go online, it seems the number of data minutes I use is much larger than if I'm simply online with my phone. Is this due to the fact that I'm surfing and going to "normal" sites, and not "mobile" sites? I'm assuming that the "mobile" sites have less ads and other extraneous stuff that cause more data to be transfered. Does this sounds reasonable? Thanks!

If you have the new "share everything" plan, then the mobile hot spot is included...no more $20/ mo extra!

Back