Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Accessory Review: Motorola Droid Car Mount

On 06.18.10, In Accessories, by Kellex

We probably should have reviewed one of these 9 months ago, but we just got one from the guys at Wireless Ground who were thoughtful enough to send us an official Motorola Droid car mount to check out; a quick review was definitely needed.

If you haven’t picked one up yet, I’ve got to say that it’s actually a pretty solid little car mount.

• Build quality is top notch
  • Good suction (Did I really just say that?)
  • Option to stick it straight to your dash
  • Small enough to store almost anywhere
  • Super adjustable
I’m also loving the new Froyo car app on it! (Pictured above.) Oh, and Google Maps trumps outdated Pioneer navigations any day.
My one issue: the camera is covered while mounted and limits the use of some great 3rd party navigation software like Wikitude Drive. Deal breaker? Maybe, but again, Google Maps is so top notch.
I believe the price for one of these puppies is $29.95 just about everywhere, including our store. (Friday shameless plug!)

Gallery:

Accessory Review: Motorola Droid Car Mount | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

I've had this since Nov. and you're right the suction is great on it! It's been in place solid and has never fallen as some have expressed their concern about. One thing to note is, back when I bought mine from Best Buy anyway, the one direct from VZW does not come with a car charger.

Mine didnt come with a car charger and I got it vzw.. probably cause they told me when I got my droid that the car charger and case were included with the phone.. I was hungover and didnt bother checking the receipt til the next day and realized I was charged, but figured I needed them anyways soo ..

If you're not using a hard case on your phone, it's great. I bought it the day I got my phone and found it to be excellent. Mounts great on the windshield and is very adjustable. The only problem I have with it is that I have a hard plastic case on my phone, so I hardly use it now. When I am on long trips and using navigation, I will take my phone out of the hard case and use it, just because it's a bit easier to see.

As for the issue with there not being a hole for a camera, that's pretty easily resolved with a well placed hole via drill. I believe the magnet is on the other side of the mount, so as long as you measure twice and drill once, you should be fine.

I got one when I got my Droid, but I took it apart and mounted it onto my old Sirius car mount since I hadn't had the radio for a long time. I'm really thinking about getting another one, though, and mounting it in a better location.

Even if I don't use any app on my phone, I still put it in the car mount every time I get into the car. I love it, and if that really is the car app that will come with Froyo, I will love it even more. That looks nice.

I've got 2. One for the car and one for the jeep. The jeep one tends to fall off during longer drives. I don't know if its because the angle of the windshield is almost vertical or the suction cup isn't as good as the one in the car. It would be too easy to swap them and find out, eh? :icon_eek:

As seen in someone else's post I drilled out a hole so I could use the video camera while bouncing through the woods with the jeep. Worked pretty good. Funny how for over an hour bouncing around the mount didn't let go of the windshield once but going down the highway...plop...off it comes.

Anyways, works excellent in the car, 5 stars. In the jeep 3 stars because I hate to see my phone bounce off the dash.

Back