Another WiFi related problem

johnsnc

Reaction score
About a week ago, I noticed that I could no longer connect to the internet using my phone's WiFi connection. I went in and told the phone to "forget" my network and then I reconnected it. Still no joy. According to the phone, I am connected to my local network but when I use an app which requires connectivity to the web, no luck. I can also see on the WiFi signal strength meter that the signal connection is good. (I am about a foot away from the router so I know that it is). The thing that I noticed about the signal strength meter is that it is gray in color and not blue like it normally is. I am guessing that is a clue but darned if I can figure what the relevance is. I can also see the little arrows blinking like it is trying to get out to the web.

I also went to the Verizon store yesterday and had them check the phone. The guy tried to connect my phone to the local Verizon WiFi network. Go figure. Everything worked fine. So what gives? He told me to power off my router (it is a Verizon FIOS router) and also power down the phone. I did both and no luck. I am securing my WiFi network so I turned it off to see if that had any affect. Still no change. I tried changing different parameters such as network name and encryption type out of an act of desperation and still no luck. I have two other WiFi devices, a new third generation i Pad and a old iPod touch. Both of those devices work perfectly.

I am about at wits end here.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be going on?

Thanks in advance for anyone's help with this very perplexing problem.

John

About a week ago, I noticed that I could no longer connect to the internet using my phone's WiFi connection. I went in and told the phone to "forget" my network and then I reconnected it. Still no joy. According to the phone, I am connected to my local network but when I use an app which requires connectivity to the web, no luck. I can also see on the WiFi signal strength meter that the signal connection is good. (I am about a foot away from the router so I know that it is). The thing that I noticed about the signal strength meter is that it is gray in color and not blue like it normally is. I am guessing that is a clue but darned if I can figure what the relevance is. I can also see the little arrows blinking like it is trying to get out to the web.

I also went to the Verizon store yesterday and had them check the phone. The guy tried to connect my phone to the local Verizon WiFi network. Go figure. Everything worked fine. So what gives? He told me to power off my router (it is a Verizon FIOS router) and also power down the phone. I did both and no luck. I am securing my WiFi network so I turned it off to see if that had any affect. Still no change. I tried changing different parameters such as network name and encryption type out of an act of desperation and still no luck. I have two other WiFi devices, a new third generation i Pad and a old iPod touch. Both of those devices work perfectly.

I am about at wits end here.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be going on?

Thanks in advance for anyone's help with this very perplexing problem.

John
I've never worked with a FIOS router but they can't be much different than any other (or so I say). Try this: go to menu>system setting>wifi>and long press the wifi network you are connected to. Then select modify network. Look to see if you get connected as a system status, signal strength, link speed, Security indication and IP address. At the bottom click on advanced options and see if proxy setting are listed as none (should be none) and IP settings is DHCP (correct settings). See if that helps.

I've never worked with a FIOS router but they can't be much different than any other (or so I say). Try this: go to menu>system setting>wifi>and long press the wifi network you are connected to. Then select modify network. Look to see if you get connected as a system status, signal strength, link speed, Security indication and IP address. At the bottom click on advanced options and see if proxy setting are listed as none (should be none) and IP settings is DHCP (correct settings). See if that helps.

Proxy was set to none and IP setting was set to DHCP.

Thanks for the suggestions though...

John

Sounds like a dhcp problem to me. I had something similar happen to me with a 2wire uverse router. The router got messed up and wouldnt give a dhcp address. Ended up needing replaced. Try setting a static ip from your phones wifi settings and let us know if you successfully gain access to the internet.

OK, you said you turned off security on the router and rebooted both the phone and router. Did you clear the security settings from the phone as well and try to create a new network conection.

My guess is that it may be how you are entering the security key settings on the phone.

If you are using WPA2/PSK on the router, it needs to be the same on the phone. Also, if you are using any symbols (@#$%*!, etc) in your security key, make sure they match up exactly in the phone when you type them in.

David

Sounds like a dhcp problem to me. I had something similar happen to me with a 2wire uverse router. The router got messed up and wouldnt give a dhcp address. Ended up needing replaced. Try setting a static ip from your phones wifi settings and let us know if you successfully gain access to the internet.

Not so sure about that as other devices can connect and work properly.

David

OK, you said you turned off security on the router and rebooted both the phone and router. Did you clear the security settings from the phone as well and try to create a new network conection.

My guess is that it may be how you are entering the security key settings on the phone.

If you are using WPA2/PSK on the router, it needs to be the same on the phone. Also, if you are using any symbols (@#$%*!, etc) in your security key, make sure they match up exactly in the phone when you type them in.

David

How would I go about clearing the security settings on the phone? I just assumed that if I told the phone to forget my network that would have set everything back to square one? Perhaps that is not a good assumption? The phone is telling me that I am connected to my network but it acts like it isn't.

How would I go about clearing the security settings on the phone? I just assumed that if I told the phone to forget my network that would have set everything back to square one? Perhaps that is not a good assumption? The phone is telling me that I am connected to my network but it acts like it isn't.

Sorry for not saying that specifically, but yes, same as telling it to forget that network.

David

Back