Applications Launching by Default

Barnsworth

Reaction score
Well I've searched the forums and can't seem to find anything on this so I'll shout it out.
I have a Moto Droid X with around who knows how many apps on it, quite a few for sure. They always seem to start up on their own and are always running in the background.
I can open my task killer and kill them, close the task killer and then re-open it back up again and half of them are running again. What gives?
I went to menu>settings>applications>manage applications and then pick out any app say AccuWeather for example, open the app and there is a Launch by Default setting that says No defaults set. So I am assuming that you CAN set defaults and this would prohibit this app or any other app from a automatic startup???
There are just quite a few apps running all the time on my phone that I don't need running and would like to figure out how to stop them from automatically starting unless I request it from them. Sort of like a selective startup of programs on your PC.
If anyone has any ideas I would sure appreciate it! Thanks!

First piece of advice is to ditch that task killer. Since you have Froyo it is absolutely not needed. Android os will manage the running apps just fine on its own. The second piece of advice I would give you is to not worry about it so much. It is a bit of a misconception that since they are running that they're actually using up a lot of resources. Much of the time they are just being pulled up so that they can easily be accessed at a moments notice.

tappin and a talkin

I'm not so much worried about it, my phone just seems a little "laggy" at times. I was thinking that would probably be because of the background apps running. Apparently that isn't the case.
I guess it is what it is...
Thanks for the advice!

If it feels a bit laggy I would say reboot the phone every other day or so and use the back button to exit apps. Try that for a week or so and see if things improve.

tappin and a talkin

They are not launching by default.
They are loaded into memory if needed.
Prefetched.

Swype doesn't run in the background. It sits loaded and when a call is made to onscreen keyboard via another use/app, it runs.
And it runs quickly since it is preloaded.

Sometimes these phones get sluggish. Set it down for a second and try again.
We ask a lot from these tiny tablets.
;)

Right, I figured out from my first post that the "default" I was talking about was not whether it launched or not but which program it was going to use by default ie stock launcher verses launcher pro. Duh, should have know that.
Yeah you are right about expecting a lot from these guys. That's why I said it is what it is. I could be (probably am) expecting to much.
Yeah I'll try the re-boot everyday and see if that helps Spaz. Not going to hurt anything for sure!
Thanks again Spaz and AngryHatter. I appreciate the imput. Live and learn...

Uninstall the third party task killer and your phone's performance will increase. Android has a built in task killer. Adding a third party task killer not only does nothing to improve speed, it hampers it.

Back