Asus Transformer Prime Bests iPad2 in Head-to-Head Matchup

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Asus-Transformer-Prime-vs-Apple-iPad-2-Design-01.jpg

Here's an interesting read. Some folks at Phonearena decided to pit the Transformer Prime directly against Apple's iPad2. According to their detailed, four-page analysis, the Transformer Prime is a better product, by a noticeable margin.

According to their take on things, the Design aesthetics of the two were pretty much a tie. The display on the T-Prime was better. The interface and functionality were slightly better on the T-Prime. Surprisingly, they seemed to indicate that the Processor and Memory performance of both devices was about on par, despite the T-Prime's quad-core chip. It appeared they gave a slight edge to the iPad2 for connectivity, since it has 3G capability and the T-Prime does not; however, they were, of course, happy that the Prime supports Adobe Flash, while the iPad2 does not. The camera on the Transformer Price was noticeably superior, according to their perspective, and they gave the edge to the T-Prime for multimedia playback. The iPad2 won with battery performance, but their final conclusion obviously favored the Transformer Prime.

Of course, I doubt any of you guys will dispute or even find their results surprising. :)

They had quite a few pics and videos, so give them a look at the source link below.

Source: TransformerForums via PhoneArena

i could have told them that, and it wouldn't have taken 4 pages... ;) my wife and 2 sons all have iPad2's, and i wouldn't trade my TP for all 3 of them. the only drawback on the Prime is the lack of tablet apps (but that's more of a knock on Andy as a whole, and not Asus' fault).

this is the problem with android it takes 2x the amount of power just to become "par" with the ipad 2:frown:....and also considering its also already a year old..:blink:

Who would have thought a 1 month old tablet best out one that has been out for a year. An actual good comparison would be the 700t vs ipad3 our whatever the newest one is going to be called.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

In other news: A V8 engine outperforms a 4 cylinder.

You will note in the article that both tablets' performance was considered a tie, so just because the T-Prime has a bigger engine, does not mean that it translates into faster performance. Continuing with your analogy, I have seen 4-bangers with mods that would smoke most V8 engines. The Apple's OS and specific hardware tweaks have obviously made the iPad2 incredibly efficient in the performance department. The T-Prime won on other merits beyond performance, which really didn't have much to do with it's processor/engine.

I just realized something... this has to be a true case of irony. I am actually defending Apple while OTR is on the other side... Pretty funny stuff, eh OTR! ;)

Last edited:
You will note in the article that both tablets' performance was considered a tie, so just because the T-Prime has a bigger engine, does not mean that it translates into faster performance. Continuing with your analogy, I have seen 4-bangers with mods that would smoke most V8 engines. The Apple's OS and specific hardware tweaks have obviously made the iPad2 incredibly efficient in the performance department.

I just realized something... this has to be a true case of irony. I am actually defending Apple while OTR is on the other side... Pretty funny stuff, eh OTR! ;)

haha who would have thought this day would come? You are right though, you can tweak the engine (hardware) to your favor. I am not interested in tabs at all but if I ever were to get one I would definitely start by looking at the Prime.

Transformer Prime Hands Down

I have both an IPad 2 and a Transformer Prime (got mine at hhgregg for $399) and no question the Prime is better, especially with the keyboard dock. I will say web browsing on the ipad for non flash sites is slightly better (more sites optimize for it), but not so much so that it outweighs the Prime's other features.

You will note in the article that both tablets' performance was considered a tie, so just because the T-Prime has a bigger engine, does not mean that it translates into faster performance. Continuing with your analogy, I have seen 4-bangers with mods that would smoke most V8 engines. The Apple's OS and specific hardware tweaks have obviously made the iPad2 incredibly efficient in the performance department. The T-Prime won on other merits beyond performance, which really didn't have much to do with it's processor/engine.

I love my modded 4 bangers, but in most cases, there is no replacement for displacement. :)

I love my modded 4 bangers, but in most cases, there is no replacement for displacement. :)

Superchargers and spray. If the other engine isn't really beefy lol.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

I have to say I'm underwhelmed. With the specs the Prime has, you'd think it would be at least a couple of leaps ahead of the older iPad2. To be roughly on par is a failure IMHO. The Android hardware community seems to be satisfied to play "catch-up" with Apple and not interested in superceding them. I wouldn't rely on the iPad3 to be a rehash of the iPad2 with just a new retina display. C'mon boys. Put an industry-leading piece of hardware out there that Apple should try to copy. Not the other way around.

You can take your Toyota Corolla (IOS) - reliable and consistent - down a nice, easy stretch of road....And I'll take my Jeep (Android) off-road....You might even beat me to the destination, but my journey will be a heck of a lot more fun and interesting.

Back