Battery / Autosync question

Grady

Reaction score
If I turn off auto sync to help the battery life on my Nexus, will I still get text messages? Emails? Phone calls? Can I still browse the market and things like that? Sorry if this is an elementary question, but I've always wondered and never found a straight answer.

Thanks!

If I turn off auto sync to help the battery life on my Nexus, will I still get text messages? Emails? Phone calls? Can I still browse the market and things like that? Sorry if this is an elementary question, but I've always wondered and never found a straight answer.

Thanks!

texts, yes
gmail, no
phone calls, yes,
market and whatever, yes

basically thing linked to your account like contacts, documents, pictures, music, and gmail will not be synced....normal phone stuff should still work

Turning off autosync will not save you any battery life. It's an option on the GNEX but it's been standard on all android phones forever.

All it does it keep track of some of your settings.

If you turn it off it won't affect anything except when you get another phone nothing will transfer over.

Thanks!

Although I'm not entirely sure myself what I've come to understand auto sync as, is a way of being constantly connected to your various accounts. If you have Facebook and an email set up on your phone, for example, what auto sync will do is maintain a connection with them so that when something new comes in you will be notified. When you turn the auto sync function off it no longer checks for new content within your accounts and will only update them when you open them yourself. Although I'm not 100% sure of this I can say with almost complete certainty that it is true because when I turned the function off on my phone the battery life was significantly increased which may be due to the fact that my phone was now no longer searching for a signal to update. As to the question of what you'll still be able to be notified of and do, the answer is pretty much everything. You still receive text message notifications, Call notifications, and can still browse the market and internet. The only thing that will change is that the accounts you have on your phone will no longer notify you when something new comes in such as emails like you asked. Hope this helped.

Back