Battery Conditioning

Fizban22

Reaction score
Hey on the new Droid X, how exactly do you do battery conditioning? just drain it to 0 then recharge 2-3 times?

and im reading some places its actually BAD to drain them to 0...

so which is it?

There's no need to "condition" modern cell phone batteries. Occasionally draining to power down then recharging is more to calibrate your phone's battery indicator. Also, yes fully discharging these batteries would be harmful to the battery, but the phone is designed to power down and not turn back on before the battery is actually fully discharged, so no worries.

so your saying i shouldnt do the die-charge-die-charge thing with this new battery?

I hear a lot of people in forums speak of conditioning or "breaking in" their batteries. Fully charging and discharging your Li-Ion battery should only be done in certain circumstances and is almost ALWAYS frowned upon if done within the first few months of use. I was planning on doing a small write up on this subject until I found a recent article. Looks like someone beat me to it. Things to note which are mentioned in the article include extreme heat or cold conditions will wear the battery out quicker (with a permanent aspect to battery). This would obviously include any custom software which runs your phone faster, and most likely hotter, regardless of the voltage you are applying. Here is the link to the article. I placed it in this forum due to the number of owners having issues with their G-Nexs.
http://dottech.org/tipsntricks/1770...-longer-but-be-sure-to-condition-it-properly/

F2E
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Interesting. A couple things just don't add up from "experience."

1.) I owned a restaurant and bought 2 li-ion phones for my partner and i. I ran mine dead ALWAYS everyday before plugging in and I used it alot. She hardly used hers and plugged it in every night and her battery was shot in 7 months. Mine was working great still in over a year of constant use charged sometimes twice a day.. Result I ALWAYS run mine dead everytime and always enjoy good battery performance for years.

2.) another friend with an advertising agency that traveled everyday around town. He used a car charger only and would always plug it in when moving. Maybe 20 or more times a day.. Battery probably never got fully charged or discharged. Result: bad battery in just a couple months. A known battery expert told me that even though li-ion do not have a memory effect, they can only be "charged" a certain number of times. Appr 300 times or so. That is why in this example battery suffered short life.

He told me each time it is plugged in is 1 of its times whether for a few minutes or for a few hours. As a result I plug mine in only when dead or almost.

Now I read all kinds of things not in support of my current habits so I guess I will plug in when I can and if battery fails get a new one.

Battery life and capacity are very important so it would be nice to know EXACTLY how to approach this. experience tells me one thing. Experts tell the sorta same thing 6 totally different ways.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

I hear a lot of people in forums speak of conditioning or "breaking in" their batteries. Fully charging and discharging your Li-Ion battery should only be done in certain circumstances and is almost ALWAYS frowned upon if done within the first few months of use. I was planning on doing a small write up on this subject until I found a recent article. Looks like someone beat me to it. Things to note which are mentioned in the article include extreme heat or cold conditions will wear the battery out quicker (with a permanent aspect to battery). This would obviously include any custom software which runs your phone faster, and most likely hotter, regardless of the voltage you are applying. Here is the link to the article. I placed it in this forum due to the number of owners having issues with their G-Nexs.
Tip: Condition your new cell phone’s battery to make it last longer (but be sure to condition it properly) | Android Articles | dotTech

F2E
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

meh...

one of many battery conspiracy theories....

I normally let my battery run down to 20 or 30% before charging but I'll charge it whenever I need to. You can get a new battery for $20 or less so if my battery starts to get bad I'll buy another one. Should be noted that I had the same battery in my droid x the entire time I had it. Just sayin that I'll charge my phone when I need to and if it hurts my batteries longevity that I'll buy a new one

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Hell, I charge mine whenever possible. They suck juice so fast when using them, it's just not practical to try and charge it at set intervals. I never had to buy a new battery in any phone I've ever owned. Granted I usually don't have them longer than a year though.

I've read so many conflicting ideas from "experts" I don't think anyone really knows how to treat a battery. I do know I usually fully discharged my OG Droids battery before charging and I can still get about 7 hrs. of game play before it dies. Might be worse if it was still used as a phone, but not bad considering I bought it release week.

Back