Best Ripping utilities I've tried so far:

Canon_Bob

Reaction score
For DVDs - DVD Catalyst. No contest here. I have all the mainstream converters, and this one beats them hands down for DVD to Droid conversions.

For Blu-Ray - Pavtube Blu-Ray Ripper. Of the Blu-Ray rippers available, this is the best I've found so far. Audio/video sync is great, and they just released the instructions for making a Droid profile (optimal settings): How to employ optimal settings when converting videos to play on Motorola Droid?

Last edited:
Thanks

I also trailed the software and put it up against other similar software, the reason for the purchase was its layout, ease of use and the fact everything is in one package, decrypting, recode/Shrink, blue ray compatible and the price is reasonable. It works well under windows 7, 1st impression is I like it

I will have to try DVD Catalyst sometime, is it Windows only?

I have an iMac and running Windows 7, however I'm very fond of Handbrake still :D

I have an iMac and running Windows 7, however I'm very fond of Handbrake still :D

I know he's playing with a Linux port as well. He's active here on the forum, so PM him. Very responsive and good people. Handbreak works, you just have to spend a lot of time tweaking.

I know he's playing with a Linux port as well. He's active here on the forum, so PM him. Very responsive and good people. Handbreak works, you just have to spend a lot of time tweaking.

It's windows only at the moment. I did manage to get it to work on Ubuntu with a plain Wine-install. It's not really fast, but it does work :)
Cant seem to get the blackbar removal stuff to work on linux though.

I havent given up, but right now I'm finalizing 3.85.

I'm currently in the process of rewriting the manual. The original manual had a few things added, but was mainly still for the original DVD Catalyst 3.0 release. So many things have changed now that its time for a major overhaul.

Handbrake?

I don't think so!
Although it's free, but the conversion speed is Slow:icon_evil:

For Blu-Ray - Pavtube Blu-Ray Ripper. Of the Blu-Ray rippers available, this is the best I've found so far. Audio/video sync is great, and they just released the instructions for making a Droid profile (optimal settings): How to employ optimal settings when converting videos to play on Motorola Droid?[/QUOTE]

Can Pavtube be used to make a 1080p copy of a blu ray? Or does is just convert to smaller sizes for media players. Right now I use MakeMKV then take that file and use either Handbrake or DVDEncrypter. DVD Encrypter has problems with many of the blue ray mkvs that I have tried in the past, so if this works, I may pony up the money.

What do you guys that have used Pavtube like so much about it?

Thanks

for CD ripping i recommend using Winamp and ripping using the mp4/aacPlus (HE-AAC) codec at 64kbps.

64kbps HE-AAC sounds CD quality and the files are super small so you can fit a ton. i have just over 800 songs on my Droid and am only using 2.15gb of space.

Reporting Back...

I just used Pavtube for the first time using a blu ray source. You can use the software without paying for it, but it will have a water mark in the center.

My first impressions are very positive. Easy interface, though it took me a while to realize that you can just type in the size (resolution) for the droid without having to use the preset values.

What I am really liking about this software is the ease of use with subtitles. I have yet to find a converter for blue ray that makes this so easy. Video and audio perfectly match. Unlike handbrake, this coverter has a volume booster which comes in handy for guys like me that use their droid mostly on noisy airplanes.

Im going to get a couple blu ray movies that Ive had problems converting with DVDCatalyst and see how they go.

Only downside I see so far is the price...~$50. But if I can do everything I want with this one program, I think its worth it.

Reporting Back...

I just used Pavtube for the first time using a blu ray source. You can use the software without paying for it, but it will have a water mark in the center.
I have tried to use Pavtube, use the trial vesion, no function limitation, as what you said, just water mark

Only downside I see so far is the price...~$50. But if I can do everything I want with this one program, I think its worth it.

Totally agree with you, worth its value!:icon_ banana:

Reporting Back...

My first impressions are very positive. Easy interface, though it took me a while to realize that you can just type in the size (resolution) for the droid without having to use the preset values.

What I am really liking about this software is the ease of use with subtitles. I have yet to find a converter for blue ray that makes this so easy. Video and audio perfectly match. Unlike handbrake, this coverter has a volume booster which comes in handy for guys like me that use their droid mostly on noisy airplanes.

Im going to get a couple blu ray movies that Ive had problems converting with DVDCatalyst and see how they go.

I trailed the software and put it up against other similar software
the reason for the purchase was its layout, ease of use and the fact everything is in one package
decrypting, recode/Shrink, blue ray compatible and the price is reasonable
It works well under windows 7,
1st impression is I like it:)

well, it still can allow me to select subtitle and language audio for the output file. wowo, this feature attracts me a lot.

Reporting Back...

I trailed the software and put it up against other similar software
the reason for the purchase was its layout, ease of use and the fact everything is in one package
decrypting, recode/Shrink, blue ray compatible and the price is reasonable
It works well under windows 7,
1st impression is I like it:)

I am using this Pavtube Blu-ray ripper(has upgraded to 3.5.1.1475), I can rip and copy both standard and Blu Ray Dvd’s.
But, if I want to copy a regular DVD to a blank dvd to play on my dvd player anyone please walk me through the steps?
The part that confuses me is the Pal or NTSC. I think I need to use NTCS 16:9 if I have a 50 inch flat screen TV:mad:

For DVDs - DVD Catalyst. No contest here. I have all the mainstream converters, and this one beats them hands down for DVD to Droid conversions.

For Blu-Ray - Pavtube Blu-Ray Ripper. Of the Blu-Ray rippers available, this is the best I've found so far. Audio/video sync is great, and they just released the instructions for making a Droid profile (optimal settings): How to employ optimal settings when converting videos to play on Motorola Droid?

couple quick questions if someone would please inform me i'd appreciate it.
1.) just wondering, i haven't tried any videos after the 2.1 update on the droid... did anything change in terms of video playback and quality (i.e. FPS, etc) because i heard of all these things about how 2.1 slowed the phone down... im just wondering

2.) can i still use the above guide that i quoted (and does it work for any length of video)? and do i have to make any adjustments to the program I was using for videos after this 2.1 update?

basically, did anything change in terms of slowdown/etc with videos on 2.1? or can i just keep doing what i have been doing (when i was on 2.01) w/o making any alterations from the update..

I appreciate any feedback! Thank You!!

Back