Bloatware Removal For Droid-X

jsw6380a

Reaction score
I have recently upgraded to a Droid-X. The bloatware on this phone is obsurd. :icon_evil: I am fairly computer savy and have done my research on this inconvenience. Gaining root appears to be the only way to remove. I would love to have complete control over my phone but am afraid of "bricking" as some others on this forum are. If I rooted to remove the bloatware could I un-root to prevent uneccessary foul ups? If not what is the safest way to root? I know this might seem like a repetitive question but I am looking for a little more clear cut answer from some of the more experienced users.

Thanks!

Download and use Z4Root to root. It is a 1-click method, and allows you to also unroot with 1-click.

Once you have root access, use an app like Root Explorer to navigate to system/app, and rename any .apk programs to .bak in order to remove the bloat. Google for a list of ones that are safe to remove. I personally disable:

[FONT=&quot]Amazon[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Blockbuster[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]CarDock[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]CityID[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Com.vznavigator[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]FriendFeed[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mynet[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]MyVerizon[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]NewsWidget[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Photowidget[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Redding-7648[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Skype[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]StatusWidget[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]VPNservices[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Workcontacts[/FONT]

Note that before installing any software updates to your phone/operating system, you'll want to rename all of the files back to .apk and unroot.

Bloatware removal

Thanks, those are the ones I was looking to lose forever... Z4 ok with 2.3?

Ok, I have thought about it long enough, so now I want to disable the bloat apps on my DX. I understand I need to rename the offending .apk`s to something else such as .bak so that they dont load. My problem is this...I have Super Manager and have rooted with z4root...but each time I rename an app it still seems to be able to work.

For instance, when the new Market came out, I couldnt get it to download, nor could I disable it in order to download and install the .apk that I downloaded elsewhere. I ultimately just installed straight from my SD card and it seems to have worked.

My question is this...what am I doing wrong...is the app I am using really not able to do this? Any help other than telling me to buy Root Explorer would be great...lol

Back