Browser setting to not bring up mobile view on xoom?

mortoxoom

Reaction score
The default xoom browser does not have a setting to not bring up mobile view of web sites. My HTC incredible browser froyo 2.2 does allow me to always go to desktop view (full web) by default.

I hate most mobile web sites. Some sites don't have a link from mobile site to bring up full site.

I tried downloading opera, firefox, skywire and dolphin. I didn't like skywire or dolphin because i'd rather not have all my activity go thru their servers. Firefox also did not have an option to turn off mobile view.

Am I missing something? I find it hard to believe honeycomb would force mobile view.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums

In the stock browser address bar type: about:debug and hit enter/go. Then go to settings --> debug, and change the UAString to Desktop. Then desktop view will work.

That works great on some sites. But a reboot seems to lose it. Plus other sites go as desk top to the main site but then goes to their Mobi sucks site after I click a link. My HTC incredible 2.2 browser works on those sites and stays as desktop.

But obviously having a xoom means I want the full site, not the limited site.

I still cannot believe its not built in as well as it is in 2.2 to avoid the mobi's.

Thanks for your help!

Yeah, it sucks having to do the debug trick each time. And i don't want to have to roott my xoom to use this feature either. Hopefully a future update will fix this.

Also, does anyone know how to set youtube by default in low quality? I have a wifi only xoom tethered to my incredible and when i'm using youtube, it's automatically plays videos in hq which takes forever through 3g and it keeps pausing to buffer. I don't mind watching videos in low quality which i have to manually select each time i select a different video.

Back