Can GPS Function w/o Verizon Signal?

chashood

Reaction score
Can the Motorola Droid (Android 2.0 OS) GPS function without a cell phone signal? I have read something about AGPS receivers in smartphones that require cell coverage to work, but I'd like to use my Droid just using GPS satellite signals like a standalone GPS. Info appreciated. Chashood

yes and no, gps will work, but google maps wont, map data is in the cloud, not your phone, so it all downloads as you go. also, none of the search features would work. i belive co pilot gps would work but dont quote me on that one.

Thanks, Snoking. I read that entire thread, and it appears to confirm that: 1. The Motorola Droid does not lock onto the GPS sats and acquire its location without a cell phone signal, at least initially, and, 2. No forum posters identified a killer standalone road maps app that would allow the Droid to use maps and points of interest (POIs) stored on the device itself. Those facts render it less useful as a GPS device. For instance, when I was in New Zealand recently, where I had no cell service, I could not use the GPS and navigation features at all, not even for rudimentary location fixing, and not even in locations where I had wifi. It's not a huge deal, because the Droid does so many other things well, but it's not as full featured for GPS purposes as a standalone GPS personal navigation device (PND) like my Garmin 276C. Not a criticism, but worth knowing. If anyone comes up with a good app to overcome these limitations, I'm all ears! Thanks, chashood

Back