Can't seem to set an email address as text-able?

DJTURNz

Reaction score
How do I make an email address TEXTable in my DROID?

What I mean is, when I want to send a text to an email address that I have saved in contacts, I have to type it completely out. I can't just type the first couple letters of the name.

Is there a setting I can change? I tried listing it as a mobile, but it only accepts numbers in that field.

How do I make an email address TEXTable in my DROID?

What I mean is, when I want to send a text to an email address that I have saved in contacts, I have to type it completely out. I can't just type the first couple letters of the name.

Is there a setting I can change? I tried listing it as a mobile, but it only accepts numbers in that field.

I've never heard of sending text to an email address. That's not possible, in order to send a text you need a number associated with the contact.

It is very possible. In HANDCENT, I type the email address in the TO: field and send my text. It shows up as an email from my phone number @ vtext.com, or usually @vpix.com.

My problem is that my saved email addresses in my contacts don't show up as able to be a "text destination".

I know the opposite is possible, to send an email and have it received as a text, every wireless network has a specific "@address" this along with the wireless number allows this to happen

I have never heard of it working the other way around

It is very possible. In HANDCENT, I type the email address in the TO: field and send my text. It shows up as an email from my phone number @ vtext.com, or usually @vpix.com

I might have to experiment with this

It is very possible. In HANDCENT, I type the email address in the TO: field and send my text. It shows up as an email from my phone number @ vtext.com, or usually @vpix.com.

My problem is that my saved email addresses in my contacts don't show up as able to be a "text destination".

So you're saying you want to send an email through your text, and handcent allows this. Fine, I wasn't aware of that I thought you were saying you wanted to send a text through an email address. That would not be possible.

I know the opposite is possible, to send an email and have it received as a text, every wireless network has a specific "@address" this along with the wireless number allows this to happen

I have never heard of it working the other way around
I do it all the time. My wife constantly TEXTs my work email, and I email her phone back as a Text message. It's difficult to TXT at work, so that is my work around. We've been doing it that way for years. Long before I got my DROID.

Hook, you can send a text via email, as outlined above...basically the same thing the O/P is referring to, but the opposite

Perhaps we have a semantic issue here. I send a text with my text app, it shows up as an email in my email inbox. I send an email from my OUTLOOK and my phone receives it as a text.

Every cell phone I have had in the last 5 years has been capable of this.

I didn't realize I was doing something groundbreaking, or maybe I just wasn't explaining it correctly.

Sure enough, opened handcent, sent a text to my gmail, received it as an email, replied to the email and received it as a text

So what is the question then, to be able to easily select the email address within Handcent ?

I thought I would be smart and add a contact with only a name and email address, go into handcent select the new message icon and tap the plus sign...this option only brings up contacts with phone numbers associated with their names

No Dice

It still doesn't make sense to me. An app that sends a text to an email I can accept but I don't see how you can send an email to a text.

I'm not saying it can't be done, obviously it can. It just doesn't make sense.

give it a shot, in gmail send an email to yourmobilenumber(with area code)@vzwpix.com and it should show up as a text on your device

This is how VZW sends texts to you when you check minutes via #min

I didn' realize it was possible the other way around...finally this process comes full circle :)

EVERY cellphone carrier assigns your phone an email address. My buddy has AT&T and his is his 10 digit number @ cingularme.com.

Also, if you use your Verizon account online, your sign in [email protected] works too.
When I worked part time for campus security, that was how they got a campus emergency notification service after Virginia Tech. They required the cellphone and carrier info from all students and faculty, then they made a "list" within the email contacts to mass email everyone. Now you can only receive so many characters as a text from an email account. Like 120 or something

Back