Cord Cutter News: Hulu looking to add an ad free option

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
hulu-plus-logo.jpg

The WSJ has reported that Hulu may look at adding an ad free option for around $14 per month. This may be another option for those wanting to go completely ad free.

Source: WSJ via Android Police

Warning: The views below are my own and do not represent that of the forum, forum owners, or rest of the staff of Droid Forums and Forum Foundry.

The words I have for Hulu would be too harsh to write on this forum for fears of having to penalize myself. But for Hulu to charge $7 a month for what was suppose to be ad free.....correction "less ads" and then want to charge an extra $7 is horse manure.

Don't get me wrong I appreciate the content that Hulu provides and they are one of the companies that is making it easier for me to cut the cord, and I know that I can still enjoy the same service I am getting without paying $7 more. But right now I feel like I am watching almost as many ads as the free version. And I also get to see this dialogue from Hulu how they are having to show ads for the Plus version so they can continue to provide content. Yet they want to charge more for "ad free".

I have a few questions for Hulu if this is true.

1) Is this really ad free or are you going to show one ad that will eventually get to two with a dialogue box about how this is necessary for the content?

2) What will be the name of this "ad free" service Hulu Plus Plus?

Maybe I am being too harsh on Hulu and if I am feel free to share your views below. Remember this forum is meant for people to share their views whether they agree or disagree. Please remember to be courteous and respect the views of others. It is okay to disagree but remember to do so respectfully.

I'll never pay for Hulu ever. I've just never liked the company. They are completely in it for the money.

I've never been a fan of Hulu either. And that's all I have to say about that matter.

S5 tap'n

Seriously, Im paying $8/mo already. Should be Ad-Free they are being Greedy!

I don't blame this on Hulu. I blame this on the companies that are paying individual actors $200,000+ PER episode to keep them on the set. That in turn rolls down hill to us.

Don't get me started on ballparks, arenas, etc either. You can't go to a movie or a ballgame anymore without going broke.

All of these TV companies did just fine when signals were analog. I do not believe that they are charging out the butt now due to "network expenses" either.

It is greed. Actors make gazillions, sports figures make gazillions, TV and movie studio executives make gazillions. We pay for it all.

TL;DR?

I am cutting the cord this month. Hulu will not be a service I will be using.

Reactions: cr6
I don't blame this on Hulu. I blame this on the companies that are paying individual actors $200,000+ PER episode to keep them on the set. That in turn rolls down hill to us.

Don't get me started on ballparks, arenas, etc either. You can't go to a movie or a ballgame anymore without going broke.

All of these TV companies did just fine when signals were analog. I do not believe that they are charging out the butt now due to "network expenses" either.

It is greed. Actors make gazillions, sports figures make gazillions, TV and movie studio executives make gazillions. We pay for it all.

TL;DR?

I am cutting the cord this month. Hulu will not be a service I will be using.
What Service are you going with? out of curiosity

What Service are you going with? out of curiosity

We are going with the standard apps we already use:
Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO Go, and then will be adding Sling TV. Sling might be enough to provide the little TV that we are interested in.

HBO Go will be replaced with HBO Now if we find that they are still worth paying for how much we use them.

The biggest crevat will be sports. I will have to find some way to watch the Bundesliga and NCAAF, but I might succumb and just order the cable package during the season and then cancel when it is over.

And then I will have to also choose a way to get Sling into the house. I am not sure if I will need a dedicated stick or just use my television's Web browser (if that is possible).

I said that if this was true I would give Hulu the ....well read the op.

Seems like this may be true.

So Hulu

I said that if this was true I would give Hulu the ....well read the op.

Seems like this may be true.

So Hulu
I saw something on Twitter that it was supposed to be $11.99/month? What're they charging per month for the ad-supported "Plus" these days? I paid for Hulu for a little while, but eventually caved in and went for a cable plan and have since upgraded that to include HBO/etc. I only ever tried Hulu because I was in college at the time and they had a nice long trial if you signed up with a .edu email address.

Between cable, Netflix, and Amazon Prime, I'm pretty set in my ways of TV/movie watching, but I still like to know what the other guys are up to.

Never been a fan of Hulu. One of the reasons I cut the cord (aside from the tremendous cost savings) was to be able to view the majority of my content "ad-free". Hulu has never offered an ad free option until recently, and at 14 bucks a month, it's still not worth it IMO.
I'm perfectly content with Netflix, Prime & VuDu for around 16 bucks a month. Not including new release movies we stream via VuDu or Prime.
With Amazon consistently adding more quality Prime content each month, along with them recently announcing the ability to download much of that content for offline viewing, Prime & Netflix will continue to dominate the cord cutting marketplace. (much like a Verizon & AT&T) All the while leaving Hulu in the dust scrambling for subscribers.....ya know, much like Sprint.

Back