D2G newbie... phone will randomly reset

luvs2kidos

Reaction score
I have had this phone for a month or so and at least once everyday when I go to unlock the screen it will freeze and then reset. This process is annoying and I was wondering if anyone else has this problem, and if anyone has a solution.

Thanks
Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL

I have had this phone for a month or so and at least once everyday when I go to unlock the screen it will freeze and then reset. This process is annoying and I was wondering if anyone else has this problem, and if anyone has a solution.

Thanks

I used to have that problem with my D1 when it first got 2.1!
Only solution I can think of is to run custom roms... but since D2G can't... my solution is: see if Verizon will let you trade up to a vPhone.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Fission?? Also like how you said "trade UP to a vPhone". Opinionated much? ;)

Thanks

I used to have that problem with my D1 when it first got 2.1!
Only solution I can think of is to run custom roms... but since D2G can't... my solution is: see if Verizon will let you trade up to a vPhone.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

DroidForums Junkie!!

I have not done anything to the phone. I went from a blackberry to the d2g, not sure where to start. Being inexperienced im afraid I would do more damage to my phone than good.

My and my wife's use to do the same. I hasn't happened so far and we just had our phones for 1 1/2 month. But I can just say ur best bet to return or weigh it out..

Return will be your best bet but Verizon won't do anything unless they see it happen unfortunately. If you know your Gmail info, you can try a factory reset. Just write down any free apps you have as its hit and miss on them restoring. No task killer other than stock or anti-virus right?

DroidForums Junkie!!

I do have lookout on my phone and the factory installed task killer. I was told by Verizon to add lookout. Can this cause problems with phone?

Returning is not an option because I paid a lot of money for a new phone, therefore them sending me a like new one will not work for me.

I purchased my first d2 about 2 months ago. Went through 6 phones when I finally threated to disconnect my service they sent me a new d2g. Overall I like it except for battery life and it resetting once in awhile.

Mine would also do this.... hasn't happened for a long time. I do find it helpful to restart the phone once in a while. I think I do it about twice a week. Seems to help.

Good luck!

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

Droids don't do random reboots unless something is wrong. Generally it's an app that's causing the problem. Task killers and virus protection should not be used.

The idea that you have to root your phone and run a custom ROM to stop this is, well, outrageous. Custom ROM's for the most part have their own issues, I'll take a stock ROM any day over a custom ROM.

My recommendation is to remove any task killers of virus protection, do a Factory Data Reset, and run it with no added apps for a day or two. If you still experience resets then you have an issue with the phone. If not, start adding your apps back in a couple of time and see how it behaves. If reboots start again, you'll probably be able to narrow it down to the problem app.

Good luck.

I reboot at least every other day :)

Mine would also do this.... hasn't happened for a long time. I do find it helpful to restart the phone once in a while. I think I do it about twice a week. Seems to help.

Good luck!

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

DroidForums Junkie!!

Droids don't do random reboots unless something is wrong. Generally it's an app that's causing the problem. Task killers and virus protection should not be used.

The idea that you have to root your phone and run a custom ROM to stop this is, well, outrageous. Custom ROM's for the most part have their own issues, I'll take a stock ROM any day over a custom ROM.

My recommendation is to remove any task killers of virus protection, do a Factory Data Reset, and run it with no added apps for a day or two. If you still experience resets then you have an issue with the phone. If not, start adding your apps back in a couple of time and see how it behaves. If reboots start again, you'll probably be able to narrow it down to the problem app.

Good luck.

It may seem outrageous to you, but STOCK 2.1 caused many reboots for me. I still have the same device with CM7 and the reboots are gone... They've actually been gone since I installed the leaked version of 2.2 way back when.

Sometimes the stock OS's are bugged...

Good luck.

It may seem outrageous to you, but STOCK 2.1 caused many reboots for me. I still have the same device with CM7 and the reboots are gone... They've actually been gone since I installed the leaked version of 2.2 way back when.

Hey, I'm not saying that you didn't have a bad experience, but I am saying the fix is not in rooting and installing another ROM. I'd like to know what you did to fix it before you rooted it?

Good luck.

Hey, I'm not saying that you didn't have a bad experience, but I am saying the fix is not in rooting and installing another ROM. I'd like to know what you did to fix it before you rooted it?

I didn't fix it before I rooted it. I sbf'd 2.01, "recovered" the SU rights, (remember that old method?), and flashed Ultimate Droid...
Then when the 2.2 leak came out, I installed that.

UD actually had some reboots for me too, but since the 2.2 leak I haven't had any problems. I can say categorically that I haven't had a single reboot since then.

I didn't fix it before I rooted it. I sbf'd 2.01, "recovered" the SU rights, (remember that old method?), and flashed Ultimate Droid...
Then when the 2.2 leak came out, I installed that.

UD actually had some reboots for me too, but since the 2.2 leak I haven't had any problems. I can say categorically that I haven't had a single reboot since then.

OK, I guess I'm a little confused. I'm looking at your phone description and it says Incredible. However from the post I can see you're talking about the original Droid. Now we are talking (I think) about the D2G and that runs 2.2 out of the box. So perhaps you were talking about an issue with the original Droid.

Did that just confuse you as well?;)

In either case however I still think the fix for either phone would be as I described. So if I misunderstood the post that I suggested was outrageous, apologies of course. I still can't picture that as a necessity, but there is no sense in arguing. I'd say it's an option.

Back