Deciding between Nexus,Razr or Rezound

mjh68

Reaction score
Just a few quick questions for the Galaxy owners. My upgrade is up and my wife is letting me upgrade for Xmas , and I am really torn between the 3 phones. I am coming from an OG droid where I loved flashing new roms , but would get frustrated on some of the Gingerbread roms because something isn't working right, phone call issues etc. I have been flashing between rooted stock and MIUI just for something different. I primarily use my phone for calls obviously, but more so surfing the net and listening to music while I run or work out. The biggest question I have is phone reception and signal strength. I live in a 3G area only, so the 4G issues don't concern me at this time, but what does concern me are the posts I have read regarding dropping data and poor signal strength when wanting to make a call. On my OG droid I have never had an issue with using the phone or getting texts except in a few areas where I am literally in between bluffs and that is expected. I do drop out of 3g to 1g and some of my commute to work , which drives me nuts as is , so I am worried that I will get frustrated with poor signal quality if that really is an issue with the Nexus. Otherwise, I have looked at all the models, don't mind how the Razr fits in my hand, so no issues with size or shape of either phone. I love the screens on the Nexus and Rezound, but the Verizon guy flat out told me the Rezound has call issues or reception difficulties..not sure if he meant in just our area or in general. As far as browsing I hear the Nexus is very superior in that regards so that is a plus. Music , I only have about 300 songs on my current phone so not alot. I had a faulty jack with the droid so will be happy to get something more reliable . I love all the accessories out for the Razr especially the car mount , and HD dock. I could care less about the MotoActive or whatever the fitness accessory is and definately don't want the lapdock. Sorry for the long post, but felt some background and personal preferences would keep this thread on track instead of just everyone touting their favorite phone . I really just wanted some honest dialog regarding the radio and signal quality. To me it's all about being able to use my phone as a phone when I need it especially since I will be using it for 2 years.. Well thank you in advance for any help or suggestions. I know that both the Razr and Rezound will get ICS at some point so that in of itself isn't a big deal . wow , tried formatting so not sure of why a wall of text !

Get the Nexus. It's the best phone out there right now. My buddy bought it and showed off the camera....sick speed! Streaming video from Netflix...beautiful and smooth! Google Talk on it now supports account switching...jealous! Light as a feather weight compared to my Droid 3...slick!

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

FWIW, I came from the OGD and use the phone pretty much in the same manner as you except with some more "work" functionality added. IF you are looking for a suitable replacement (ie Rootable and unlocked bootloader) then the Nexus is the phone for you. Silky smooth, easy as pie to root (unlike the OGD was back before 1 button root), Light weight (feels barely there on my hip) with an amazing screen. Samsung reports the signal graph lower than Moto and HTC but rest assured; I have shown zero to 1 bar and been able to take a call and NOT have it drop. My OGD would drop with zero bars and with 1; the call was crap. I also looked into the Razr and the Rezound but the Nexus just felt more suitable to my needs. As of right now; the Rezound does take a better quality picture than the Nexus but, not that much of a better picture. For me, what sealed the deal was getting some hands on time with all three. I left the store with the Nexus and I am completely satisfied with it. More than enough to get me through the next NE2 and probably beyond.

Hmm interesting salesman told you rezound had problems with signal. From reading the forums supposedly it gets very good signal. I don't have one so if someone with a rezound could post if they have call problems would be great. Going to run by Verizon store after work and check signal strength on all the top phones. My bionic has poor signal at my home but could be the area. I hear rezound gets better signal..if so may switch to that.

If you ask three Verizon reps at three different stores, you can get three different opinions. Take what they say with a grain of salt. Same here on the forums. I scour the different forums and read what owners complain about. It is my opinion that the Rezound is the best of the three, although I haven't played with the Nexus yet.. My wife just upgraded to it from a fried OG and is very content with it's no drama demeanor. The reception has been solid and you get Beats thrown in.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

Last edited:
If things like battery life and speakerphone quality are important to you, you may also want to consider the Bionic. The recent OTA update resolved the few issues I had with the Bionic, and the extended battery has significantly more capacity than the other phones, which is really important to me because I travel a lot for work. The downside is that the Bionic with the extended battery is thicker than the others, but when I need it to be thin, I just swap to the standard battery.

I initially bought the Bionic with the intention of picking up the Nexus when it launched. I planned to give the Bionic to my wife when I got the Nexus, but I'm so happy with it now, I've decided to save my upgrade for something better. Just my two cents.

If I wasn't so concerned with rooting and roming I would have probably gone with the rezound. The size of it is closer to the og and more what I am comfortable with. Spec wise these three phones are nearly identical and the differences they do have are fairly insignificant.

So like others have said it is going to be a preference thing. Do you focus more on size, form factor, or customization.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

I had a rezound and I swear it has the best radio. No lie. I NEVER had data droppage. I had the bionic too and it has the same radio as the razr and that thing has stupid data drops. All the time it seemed like. The nexus has s weaker radio than both so if radio is your big thing then go rezound.

sent from my bio... err rezo... err Galaxy Nexus. using vanilla android.

Tblot and HTC phones in general have battery reporting issues. TBlot and DINC owners know what i am talking about. when you reboot you lose 10% 15% or your batt! That was one of my biggest gripes with HTC phones. I do miss SENSE and the widgets that HTC has. IMO they have the best layer on top of Android of anyone. however, 4.0 does have a lot of uniqueness built into 4.0. it really is completely different. I don't think I would get an HTC now...I am waiting to see what CES brings. for now the GN looks promising, but will be eclipsed in 2012 by other ICS phones.

Tblot and HTC phones in general have battery reporting issues. TBlot and DINC owners know what i am talking about. when you reboot you lose 10% 15% or your batt! That was one of my biggest gripes with HTC phones. I do miss SENSE and the widgets that HTC has. IMO they have the best layer on top of Android of anyone. however, 4.0 does have a lot of uniqueness built into 4.0. it really is completely different. I don't think I would get an HTC now...I am waiting to see what CES brings. for now the GN looks promising, but will be eclipsed in 2012 by other ICS phones.

Bro u gonna be waiting forever if you go by that logic. Its always gonna be a better phone coming out. Go get what you like and stick with it

sent from my bio... err rezo... err Galaxy Nexus. using vanilla android.

since i have used all three i think i can help.. You didn't even mention taking pictures with your phone.. so I will take my personal preference for that out of the equation.

at my house i get pretty good signal and this is looking at the RSSI not the signal bars.. My rezound was on par with my razr and pretty much all other phones I have used. the Nexus has noticeably lower signal reception at my house.. I don't notice any difference in call quality because although it is lower I live in a pretty well covered area.. but being worse here I am sure would translate to dropping calls/not being able to make calls elsewhere. The earpiece speaker volume on the nexus is the lowest of the three.. I have found myself saying what more or covering my other ear to block out ambient noise..

If you will focus heavy on the "phone" part of the smartphone I would get the Rezound it feels super solid, and the added beats audio equalizer is pretty decent (i don't care for the Beats headphones, but the EQ is nice) I was just in the mountains last week with my rezound and I wish i could have had all 3 there to compare b/c the signal where I go is horrid.. but it has been that way for 5 years no matter what phone i have taken.. Suprisingly my wife's iPhone was way better than any phone i have ever seen up there :(..

If your really concerned about radio strength honestly I would stay away from the Nexus at this point.. The day I got my nexus I went to my kids christmas play at my church and the nexus was signal was bouncing from 4g/3g alot, and my rezound never had that problem... I always like something new so I will deal with the nexus issues for now, but if I knew i was gonna be using it for two years, I would seriously consider returning it.

Hmm interesting salesman told you rezound had problems with signal. From reading the forums supposedly it gets very good signal. I don't have one so if someone with a rezound could post if they have call problems would be great. Going to run by Verizon store after work and check signal strength on all the top phones. My bionic has poor signal at my home but could be the area. I hear rezound gets better signal..if so may switch to that.

I'm not surprised the reps must get a bonus for every moto device they sell cuz no matter what store I go into I'm getting a moto device shoved in my face.. And then get to hear them dog the competition out and how moto is the holy grail of phones then the next thing they do is tell u haw to install a task killer SMH.. Make sure u check there signal strength under settings cuz most of the bars u get are BS anyway.. For example a HTC with 3 bars could be pulling better reception than a Sammy with max bars..

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

The only signal issue I have with my rezound is going from 4g to 3g and back. I normally get solid 4g coverage but when it switches sometime I have no service for a few minutes then I get 1x for a bit.

The 4g speed tests are amazing though. My best is almost 35 megs down.

I don't like the look or the feel of the razr and it was too long to wait for the nexus. I'm happy with my choice for the most part.. just wish battery life was a bit better. Seems to actually get better each day, so who knows.

Sent from my Rezound using Droid Forums.

Something to think about with the Nexus is that no matter what comes out next year, it still won't be stock ICS.

I think that gives the Nexus lasting power, even against phones with far superior hardware. The only thing that will greatly improve by CES is camera quality and 2nd gen LTE chips when you think about it. Increasing CPU speeds isn't going to make anything run faster than it already does, quad cores could reduce battery consumption, but the public hasn't had their hands on any real world data yet so we'll see if that remains true.

No screen will rival the Nexus in terms of size and quality(I know a lot of people like the Rezound screen better but it is smaller), you can't go bigger without being impossible to hold with one hand and since screen quality seems to be a slow progression we won't see 1080P screens for quite some time.

I feel content knowing I have to use this phone for 2 years unless I want to shell out $650 later on. I imagine there won't be a phone I'll truly want for at least a year from today.

I'm not surprised the reps must get a bonus for every moto device they sell cuz no matter what store I go into I'm getting a moto device shoved in my face.. And then get to hear them dog the competition out and how moto is the holy grail of phones then the next thing they do is tell u haw to install a task killer SMH.. Make sure u check there signal strength under settings cuz most of the bars u get are BS anyway.. For example a HTC with 3 bars could be pulling better reception than a Sammy with max bars..

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

It has been my experience that Moto's radios have the most undeserved reputation of any piece of Android hardware. Our three HTCs have all outshined our two Motos. In addition are the data drop issues of the Bionic and Razr. I won't be going back to Moto anytime soon.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

Back