Differences in Wifi connectivity and performance and network encryption

PhDCow

Reaction score
I've had my S4 for 2 weeks now and I've read through the entire forum and several others. I think I know what the problem is, but I'm looking for some validation.

I try to use Wifi to save on data. All the networks I use require passwords, but they're not encrypted. EXCEPT my home network is encrypted because hubby works in the health care field and he has a layer of security needed to comply with federal laws. I have a hard time connecting to the Internet and even using some apps at home. I can't update apps. I can't view many web pages. Even FB and Twitter give me a hard time. If I use the other networks (my own work, friends' home networks, my favorite coffeehouse haunts), I don't have these problems.

Is it plausible that our home encryption is interfering with the Samsung security that came with the S4 and now 4.3? I can still get email, upload photos, and get some access to apps, but it's limited. From what I'm reading on here, I'm not the only one. What I haven't found is a work around. Has anyone found a solution? Thanks in advance!

It certainly is possible, maybe not so much the encryption as the restrictions that are implemented. I have companies with filters set up that resatrict access to social media.

Have you tried connecting to your router by using the WPS push button technique. (You push the connect button on the router and activate that feature on your phone.)

If your husband has special security the router might not provide that option as it is a means of bypassing the password.

I've had my S4 for 2 weeks now and I've read through the entire forum and several others. I think I know what the problem is, but I'm looking for some validation.

I try to use Wifi to save on data. All the networks I use require passwords, but they're not encrypted. EXCEPT my home network is encrypted because hubby works in the health care field and he has a layer of security needed to comply with federal laws. I have a hard time connecting to the Internet and even using some apps at home. I can't update apps. I can't view many web pages. Even FB and Twitter give me a hard time. If I use the other networks (my own work, friends' home networks, my favorite coffeehouse haunts), I don't have these problems.

Is it plausible that our home encryption is interfering with the Samsung security that came with the S4 and now 4.3? I can still get email, upload photos, and get some access to apps, but it's limited. From what I'm reading on here, I'm not the only one. What I haven't found is a work around. Has anyone found a solution? Thanks in advance!

Do you by chance have more than one access point with the same SSID? If you could, do this:

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to run all of them by him.

Back