does rooting prevent updating.

pjschultz04

Reaction score
hey guys,
i saw all the talk of the recent build (esd59) and checked my build. whaaaa? im still with the esd56. although this is not a big deal i was wondering if because i have my droid rooted that it would prevent me from automaticall updating.

if this is true what is the best way to unroot my droid?

thanks everybody

According to other members on Droid Forums if your phone is rooted you will not be able to receive future updates. As for your refrence to build number ESD59, that upgrade was merely a rumor posted on the forum during the week of January the 18th. The current firmware version that you should have on your phone is 2.0.1 and the build number is ESD56.

According to other members on Droid Forums if your phone is rooted you will not be able to receive future updates. As for your refrence to build number ESD59, that upgrade was merely a rumor posted on the forum during the week of January the 18th. The current firmware version that you should have on your phone is 2.0.1 and the build number is ESD56.

That isn't entirely true. Once rooted, you have to disable OTA updates or your phone will still receive them.

obviously i am horrible with this rooting stuff and should have never dabbled in it to begin with, but i did try manually reinstalling the 2.0.1 update to hopefully get rid of the root. i still have the super user icon and was unable to directly uninstall it. without further screwing up my phone what can i do to get it back to verizon warranty status?

if i do need to factory reset will the paid apps i have need to be paid for again, and will my contacts automatically sync up?

im lost:mad:

also how can i tell if my phone is indeed still rooted using the terminal emulator?

to the OPs question:

rooting does not prevent OTA updates. however, the newest SPRecovery (0.99.2b) automatically blocks OTA updates (any update.zip, actually), to protect the phone from losing root.

Back