Droid 1 computer connection problem

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hey guys and girls, i have a problem i have never had before. My droid wont connect to the computer. My is to sbf a file but i cant seem to get the droid to connect. I am no noob and have done this many times before so lets try to give me priductive feedback.
Problem and troubleshooting steps: I fiqured first id cleanout the sd card which was getting a bit full so i plugged the phone into my computer. The mount sd card option never popped up so i was kind of confused. I then tried it on my moms computer and still no mount option. When its connected with the cord to the computer the phone doesnt even show that its charging... so i then went and grabbed my charger base and plugged it in. The phone definitly still shows that its charging when plugged into the wall so its definitly not the phone socket. I then tried my sisters droid and it worked just fine in both pcs so its only my phone that has a problem connecting to the computers. My next step was flashing a different rom, which didnt fix the problem. Then i flashed back to an older rom backup that i knew worked before and it didnt fix the problem. So with that i loaded sprecovery on instead of cmod and tried to mount the sdcard from the recovery which still gave me no results. Well at this point i wanted to just flash the sbf so the sd card really didnt matter because i can just do that after i flash the sbf, but once i loaded into the bootloader it literally still wouldnt connect or be read by the computer. Rsdlite didnt see it, although it has many times in the past. So from my troubleshooting steps i can conclude that the problem is effecting the most basic level of software on the phone which is the bootloader...so im thinking its hardware based. i cant really think of any other steps to try... All the moto drivers are definitly installed on my computer i even updated them during this ordeal. Any thoughts on possibilities of the problem? Upon looking in device manager, it looks like the usb host is seeing s omething connected, just doesnt know what it is. Which is confuesing becuase all drivers are their, it worked many times before, and my sisters droid works fine so its not the computers.

Make sure your Droid has USB Debugging enabled, and that the cord you are using isn't damaged or defective.

If that doesn't work, either wait and see if anyone else finds a fix or just do a factory reset and reroot.

Meh... Im saddened by your guesses. Lets think deeper than that guys. USB Debugging while enabled or disabled would not affect its ability to show up in the computer... you can try it right now if you want. Disable it and you'll still get your Droid to pop up and be able to look through files on SD card (Its a development tool, not required to access SD card). Also I tried two different cables while i was doing my initial troubleshooting. And if the cable was damaged it wouldn't be selective about which devices it works and doesnt work on. Thus the possibility of that being the cause is extremely unlikely. :blink: While i do appreciate reply's, can we put a little more thought in them? I Needs a smarty, Someone to stand back and go hmmm... this sounds like the problem.. Lets just assume that i'm coherent and my chords are undamaged, and the obvious has been taken care of (Batteries are in the phone, the chords is full inserted in the phone, etc...). Lets get to the root of the problem. I cant be the only one experiencing this issue.

You need a data usb cable. I had this problem only yo find out that I had purchased a charger only cable. Microusb data cable from target or bestbuy will do

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

You need a data usb cable. I had this problem only yo find out that I had purchased a charger only cable. Microusb data cable from target or bestbuy will do

While you did give me a chuckle, again this really doesn't help me. If the cable didn't contain the correct wires (D+,D-) then it wouldn't have worked on my other phone (Logically, this can be inferred from my first post). I have 3 total USB chords and all of the are OEM Moto chords that do in fact have all the pin wires. I do know what your talking about though, lots of companies get cheap or their accessory just has no reason for the D+ and D- wires (Car charger) but i can say with certainty that i'm using the correct chord. And i'm sorry to repeat myself, the chord is fully functioning and working, undamaged, tested on other devices and visually flawless. Lets actually start thinking about the phone...and eliminate the chord from the suspect list. Anyone have this or a similar problem in the past?

I suppose it's possible the connector on the phone gave out... after all... other things connected to your computer correctly using the same cable... although the problem may really be the phone have you tried to different computer perhaps?

Unfortunately I don't really know how to test a software verses a hardware problem in this scenario.

Last edited:
I suppose it's possible the connector on the phone gave out... after all... other things connected to your computer correctly using the same cable...

Unfortunately I don't really know how to test a software verses a hardware problem in this scenario.

I thought about that but the fact i can see something connected in device manager kind of throws in wrench in that idea. On my moms Pc it would have a popup that said an unknown device was connected and unsuccessfully tried to install the correct drivers. The drivers were already installed as a step right before i installed rsdlite and it was also installed via the phone earlier. The popup doesn't say A855 like it used to. Just "unknown device". I didnt get that popup on my Pc though.

I suppose it's possible the connector on the phone gave out... after all... other things connected to your computer correctly using the same cable...

I thought about that but the fact i can see something connected in device manager kind of throws in wrench in that idea. On my moms Pc it would have a popup that said an unknown device was connected and unsuccessfully tried to install the correct drivers. The drivers were already installed as a step right before i installed rsdlite and it was also installed via the phone earlier. The popup doesn't say A855 like it used to. Just "unknown device". I didnt get that popup on my Pc though.

FWIW:

I don't have usb debugging turned on right now, so when I connect to my XP laptop, it simply connects. I get a new drive letter which I cannot browse into until I futz with the USB connection settsing on the phone. It doesn't mention a855 anywhere until I "stop" the usb device. Meanwhile, on the phone, with USB debugging turned off I get a screen with a button you have to push in order to browse the SD card from the computer. If I have usb debugging turned on, I don't get that screen with the button. I *do* have to go into the notification bar (or the settings) and select the item that says "USB Connected...". That's when I get the "Turn on USB Storage" screen. Do you get ANY of that???

Last edited:
Kinda rude. Just saying.

Just Frustrated Dude. When you have a problem don't you want people to take you seriously when asking it? I really am not feeling that way... its like i go on these forums all the time and do my best to help out people and explain things for them (literally put some thought in answers) and when i get a problem that arises the thought i get back from other people is sub par at best. Like the feeling of my post wasn't read goes through my mind.... I apologize if i am coming off a bit blunt, thats really just how i am. I need this problem fixed, and i need to get it moving toward that direction. Ill try to back off the bluntness a bit but we need to move toward solving my problem. I help out people all the time, lets turn the tide around and get my droid fixed.

FWIW:

I don't have usb debugging turned on right now, so when I connect to my XP laptop, it simply connects. I get a new drive letter which I cannot browse into until I futz with the USB connection settsing on the phone. It doesn't mention a855 anywhere until I "stop" the usb device. Meanwhile, on the phone, with USB debugging turned off I get a screen with a button you have to push in order to browse the SD card from the computer. If I have usb debugging turned on, I don't get that screen with the button. I *do* have to go into the notification bar (or the settings) and select the item that says "USB Connected...". That's when I get the "Turn on USB Storage" screen. Do you get ANY of that???
Usb debugging doesnt seem to affect the message unfortunetly. And no, its not even giving me the option to connect to the "usb connect" its like the phone doesnt read the pc connection at all. But my Pc sees the phone as an unknown device. grr.... i need to smack those gremlins to get them to throw the switch or something.

Kinda rude. Just saying.

Just Frustrated Dude. When you have a problem don't you want people to take you seriously when asking it? I really am not feeling that way... its like i go on these forums all the time and do my best to help out people and explain things for them (literally put some thought in answers) and when i get a problem that arises the thought i get back from other people is sub par at best. Like the feeling of my post wasn't read goes through my mind.... I apologize if i am coming off a bit blunt, thats really just how i am. I need this problem fixed, and i need to get it moving toward that direction. Ill try to back off the bluntness a bit but we need to move toward solving my problem. I help out people all the time, lets turn the tide around and get my droid fixed.

FWIW I don't see a problem with anything u wrote. But I'm socially inept anyway ;-)

In light of the post I missed... have you tried re-seating your SD card? Not that it'll matter. But as usual, when the damn thing's always worked for you it's hard to figure out what goes wrong on someone else's device!

Last edited:
Just in case you still have not solved your problem:

I had the same exact issue & tried everything you did, plus some more, to no avail; was driving me nuts!

My lost usb connectivity issue was solved by fixing the physical connection itself. It was either the plug, or the phone connector (not sure which). I gave both a good cleaning (dust/dirt accumulation from being stored in my pocket every day). Plugged it back in & voila! Back to normal again!

Hope this helps somebody
moz-screenshot-3.png

Back