Droid 1 - Going Haywire!

Greg

Reaction score
I have a question for you all.....

But first , an explanation...

The last week my Droid 1 is going crazy. It's 1.5 years old. Won't play music, won't show files that have been uploaded to the sdcard. All apps force close. Even the green lock freezes in mid swipe. Popping the battery seems the only way to recover, but then the probs start all over again. Acts as if the battery is dead, when it's 100% charged. Shuts off when it ever it feels like it. Only works when it feels like it. It's about to go thru my window, as I've run out of patience!

I wanted to wait until June and get the Bionic. Clearly my droid isn't going to last me that long.

EDIT: This all started when I did a FACTORY RESET to get my email/messenging working again. This fixed the email problem but created so many many more.

So... my question to all of you is.... If you HAD to get a new phone RIGHT NOW! What phone would you get?

Also... if anyone has any advice to get my droid thru til June. It's greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Do you use the charger that came with the droid or an aftermarket one? After market chargers can make crazy things happen. How ever I've never heard of anything that crazy before.

If you love your Droid as much as I did/do and don't need the physical keyboard I would suggest the Droid X. I just upgraded a few weeks ago and fell completely in love with this phone. Its Awesome! but that just my opinion.

Do you use the charger that came with the droid or an aftermarket one? After market chargers can make crazy things happen. How ever I've never heard of anything that crazy before.

If you love your Droid as much as I did/do and don't need the physical keyboard I would suggest the Droid X. I just upgraded a few weeks ago and fell completely in love with this phone. Its Awesome! but that just my opinion.

I'm using the original battery and original charger.

are you rooted and running any custom rom?

Well... a long time ago, I tried rooting, but I had such issues with RSDlite, Permissions, etc.... that it never worked. So, no I'm not rooted or am I using any ROMS. There is one app (sleeptimer) that thinks my phone is rooted, when it's not.

Anyway, that was such a long time ago. It has nothing to do with that. All my problems began a week ago, after a factory reset.

I would do a factory reset again. Your SD card maybe whacky as well. See if you can empty the card then reset the phone. If you are successful, I would try to root again, and install a custom rom. The process is so much easier now and the roms are really good. Hopefully it will keep your interest in the phone until it's time to upgrade.

I have(had) the exact same issue. It started last monday or tuesday. I took the phone to verizon and the rep basically performed a factory reset.

The problem started again wednesday so I decided to root for the very first time. Problem solved for a few hours and then back, thursday.

Currently the phone is operating fine since 7am but the next step is un-rooting and back to verizon.

I would do a factory reset again. Your SD card maybe whacky as well. See if you can empty the card then reset the phone. If you are successful, I would try to root again, and install a custom rom. The process is so much easier now and the roms are really good. Hopefully it will keep your interest in the phone until it's time to upgrade.

I don't think so. I had such problems the first time. I even had one of the top helpers here on the forums helping me step by step... and still nothing but probs.

Do you think it could be a battery issue? Maybe it's not holding it's charge like it used to, yet it's showing a full charge on the phone???

I have(had) the exact same issue. It started last monday or tuesday. I took the phone to verizon and the rep basically performed a factory reset.

The problem started again wednesday so I decided to root for the very first time. Problem solved for a few hours and then back, thursday.

Currently the phone is operating fine since 7am but the next step is un-rooting and back to verizon.

Irritating isn't it?

Sigh....

Back