Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I should have waited

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
With the DROID 3 coming out on the 7th and people getting to get their hands on it the 8th as well as the phone coming available in stores the 14th, the DROID 3 has met some pretty great overall reviews. But after reading reading and watching numerous reviews, the one thing mainly brought up being a factor of why some people venture out not to buy the phone, is the lack of 4G.
Also, there's been reports that the Canada and Chinese versions will in fact have 4G.

This leads me to wonder. Should us DROID 3 buyers have waited for a possible 4G device considering when the DROID 2 came out, they made a version with Global capabilities? Who's to say they won't do the same with the DROID but with 4G? Especially seeing as this phone is a great phone overall and is finally a new great worthy upgrade from the DROID spec wise. Or will that have to wait until the DROID 4(G)?

As far as I can determine from my research: Nope.

Why? Because the Droid 3 is a full-featured global phone. As of right now, LTE technology and Global technology don't co-exist within the same packaged slider/qwerty phone. "True" LTE technology is new, and is still be developed and made smaller and more efficient as time goes on.

As with the news and articles talking about the Droid 3 hitting other carriers as a "4G" phone, you have to keep in mind that "4G" is yet another over-used term. The 4G networks that the Droid 3 is capable of running are amongst the "Like 4G" carriers that use HSPA+ technology. Verizon, however, uses LTE technology that is different and is actual 4G standards.

My guess is that the Droid 4 will have LTE on board.

The Droid Bionic on the other hand, will come with LTE on board and will not have the global capabilities of the Droid 3. This adds a nice contrast between both phones to attack the two extreme markets.

IMO, LTE is over-rated right now. It only exists in a few places (no where near me atm), it's new technology, so its far from being "efficient" - i.e. drains battery, large radio size, etc. Give it several months to a year, and it will be a good time to upgrade to LTE. For now, 3G is fast enough - and for most people, they are within range of WIFI at work or home to suffice for the time being.

Bottom Line: The Droid 3 is an outstanding phone, solid all around. They've put too much work into the phone to completely re-vamp the Droid series, just to release another variation later on down the road.

As far as I can determine from my research: Nope.

Why? Because the Droid 3 is a full-featured global phone. As of right now, LTE technology and Global technology don't co-exist within the same packaged slider/qwerty phone. "True" LTE technology is new, and is still be developed and made smaller and more efficient as time goes on.

As with the news and articles talking about the Droid 3 hitting other carriers as a "4G" phone, you have to keep in mind that "4G" is yet another over-used term. The 4G networks that the Droid 3 is capable of running are amongst the "Like 4G" carriers that use HSPA+ technology. Verizon, however, uses LTE technology that is different and is actual 4G standards.

My guess is that the Droid 4 will have LTE on board.

The Droid Bionic on the other hand, will come with LTE on board and will not have the global capabilities of the Droid 3. This adds a nice contrast between both phones to attack the two extreme markets.

IMO, LTE is over-rated right now. It only exists in a few places (no where near me atm), it's new technology, so its far from being "efficient" - i.e. drains battery, large radio size, etc.
That is true and I definitely agree on 4G being still new. And while it's definitely nice to have, there's said to be other problems with it like the fact it eats up your battery. So waiting on a DROID 4 with LTE would make sense.

But, who's to say it's not possible for a DROID 3 LTE device to come out for those who don't need global? There's plenty of people that don't even need the global capabilities that the phone offers.

Unless there's a new super slim LTE radio out there, they'd have to redesign the phone and increase the thickness. I'm not going to say it isn't possible, but my guess is that if they were going to do that, they'd probably name it something else.

And the "4G" with the Canadian and Chinese phones is the same 4G currently being pushed by T-Mobile and AT&T (HSPA+), which is just an extension of 3G for GSM. The radio and the hardware required for it really isn't all that different than a normal 3G GSM radio. LTE is a completely different beast. A lot of folks seem to be upset that other countries are getting a "4G" Droid 3, but they seem to forget that fact.

Unless there's a new super slim LTE radio out there, they'd have to redesign the phone and increase the thickness. I'm not going to say it isn't possible, but my guess is that if they were going to do that, they'd probably name it something else.

And the "4G" with the Canadian and Chinese phones is the same 4G currently being pushed by T-Mobile and AT&T (HSPA+), which is just an extension of 3G for GSM. The radio and the hardware required for it really isn't all that different than a normal 3G GSM radio. LTE is a completely different beast. A lot of folks seem to be upset that other countries are getting a "4G" Droid 3, but they seem to forget that fact.
Great points, I did not know all that would be required and I didn't know they used the same as AT&T's. Especially China, I would have expected them to be up to par with us since they seem to get some good stuff before even the US does.

So it would make since for 4G just to come with the DROID 4 instead. Hopefully by then they'll be able to put 4G into the phone without making the phone bigger(more fat) since they just got done making it smaller(slimmer).

Great points, I did not know all that would be required and I didn't know they used the same as AT&T's. Especially China, I would have expected them to be up to par with us since they seem to get some good stuff before even the US does.

So it would make since for 4G just to come with the DROID 4 instead. Hopefully by then they'll be able to put 4G into the phone without making the phone bigger(more fat) since they just got done making it smaller(slimmer).

Next to no one has much of a LTE network up and running besides Verizon anywhere in the world. So for the most part, just about any network claiming 4G right now beyond Verizon is running HSPA+. It's taken quite some time for much of the world to establish 3G coverage, so a lot of countries aren't in a rush to deploy a costly new technology like LTE.

Isn't Verizon's lte still not even true 4G?

And as much as id like 4G, the global capabilities are a big plus for me. In case I an moving to Europe in the next year or two....

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Isn't Verizon's lte still not even true 4G?

And as much as id like 4G, the global capabilities are a big plus for me. In case I an moving to Europe in the next year or two....

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

It's all a big confusing thing. When the term 4G was first brought about by the International Telecommunication Union, neither LTE, HSPA+, or WiMAX were 4G. LTE was closer than HSPA+ or WiMAX, but none actually met the required specifications. But then the carriers started calling these forms of tech 4G, and the ITU decided to expand the definition to include technologies that were forerunners of actual 4G.

So technically, they're all 4G...and they're all not 4G. :)

LTE is definitely the closest of the three to what people call "real 4G" though.

Next to no one has much of a LTE network up and running besides Verizon anywhere in the world. So for the most part, just about any network claiming 4G right now beyond Verizon is running HSPA+. It's taken quite some time for much of the world to establish 3G coverage, so a lot of countries aren't in a rush to deploy a costly new technology like LTE.

Oh yeah, that makes a lot of sense then. Thanks for all the input.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Battery life is bad enough as it is....LTE will just make it work hence why I didn't get a Thunderbolt, Charge or waited for the upcoming Bionic. In a year or so when they have an integrated chip I'll end up buying.

If the current droid 3 were made into an lte device it would be an inch thick and have 2hr battery life.

I just hope we see some advance on lte radios by ces....

Battery life is bad enough as it is....LTE will just make it work hence why I didn't get a Thunderbolt, Charge or waited for the upcoming Bionic. In a year or so when they have an integrated chip I'll end up buying.

Yeah, that's the same bout I'd be in when we get 4G here. But Verizon reps keep switching it up on me. A few weeks ago I called and they said anywhere from a year and a year and a half, and when I went to go buy this phone 2 days ago go they said 3-4 months, as well as our Coliseum already having it. So.. no idea.

@bendystrawboy

Yeah, hopefully when 4G comes to the likely droid 4 they'll be able to keep the size the same.

Yeah, that's the same bout I'd be in when we get 4G here. But Verizon reps keep switching it up on me. A few weeks ago I called and they said anywhere from a year and a year and a half, and when I went to go buy this phone 2 days ago go they said 3-4 months, as well as our Coliseum already having it. So.. no idea.

@bendystrawboy

Yeah, hopefully when 4G comes to the likely droid 4 they'll be able to keep the size the same.

I actually live in Boston and was pretty set on waiting for a Bionic until I talked to my friends who have the Thunderbolt and Charge. They both told me they carry around at least one extra battery with them. No thanks. I can live with 3G for another year or so until LTE is more refined. Plus I hate virtual keyboards so I'm guessing the Droid 4 or whatever they're going to call it will have LTE.

I'm in the Boston area and have a stock thunderbolt and get 14-16 hours with 4G on all day with moderate use .

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

@bendystrawboy

I actually live in Boston and was pretty set on waiting for a Bionic until I talked to my friends who have the Thunderbolt and Charge. They both told me they carry around at least one extra battery with them. No thanks. I can live with 3G for another year or so until LTE is more refined. Plus I hate virtual keyboards so I'm guessing the Droid 4 or whatever they're going to call it will have LTE.

Yeah, that's really all I hear about is people having battery problems. Then you'll have a couple people saying they get great battery life overall.

Back