Droid GPS

styx

Reaction score
Last week I took my
Moto
Droid with me to my hunting spot in northern Michigan. I figured I would set our campsite as one of my favorites so I don't get lost. So, I'm standing outside of my car click on "Maps" the little satellite icon pops up but nothing is drawn on the screen. Where I am at there isn't any cell phone coverage. Does my Droid GPS need 3G coverage to draw the maps? When I had my
Garmin
it didn't matter where I was it just worked. Does anyone know of a better app that can help with this or am I just SOL? Thanks!

Google maps requires some sort on net connection; it doesn't store the maps internally like a dedicated GPS device. Best you can hope for with no 3G or Wifi is an app that simply gives you your current lat/lon. I don't know of any apps which currently store their maps locally, which isn't to say they don't exist...

Yes, you need access to data for Google Maps to work. For areas like northern Michigan, it's probably better to carry a dedicated GPS.

"maps (-)" is in the market, and stores maps on the droid. view the map at the zoom level you want, and the app stores it, on your SD card as i recall.

Offline maps

Try ViewRanger or Backcountry Navigator. There are probably others as well.

Thanks all! I'll give the suggested a try!

Styx,

I have been completely pleased with Oryxmaps from the market. It does allow for the storage of maps, terrain views, etc. on the Droid. You have to use a 3rd party program to compile your map sets, Mobile Atlas Creator, but it is pretty easy to use. Oryxmaps is advancing in features rather rapidly, has full integration with GPStatus now, and is sound enough for me to use in my work. I use it for work, hunting and play.

Craig

For areas like northern Michigan, it's probably better to carry a dedicated GPS.
Or just use an app that stores its mapping data locally. Google Maps/Nav isn't the only GPS app for Android out there despite what many apparently seem to think.

Back