Droid touchscreen disappointment

Reaction score
I must say, with as many folks as have had problems with the digitizer on the original Droid, you would expect Motorola to do something. In checking boards all over the Android community, I've discovered that it comes down to a poor industrial design in the placement of the connector ribbon cable and how it runs by the ear hole and gets shorted by contaminants and moisture. I just emailed Motorola to see what they have to say about this. I bought a phone on a 2 year contract, expecting it to work the full 2 years and just 16 months in, it's almost useless thanks to me not being able to use the screen on it effectively. Not only that, it's the SECOND one I've gotten that's done this. Here is what I sent them:

"I purchased my Droid the week after launch in November of 2009. I had been quite happy with it until July of last year when the digitizer went bad. Well, I got it replaced since it was still under warranty and it was okay up until last week when the replacement phone's digitizer went bad and the right hand side no longer responds to touch. I am still several months from being able to get full upgrade qualification from Verizon and I am faced with either having to buy a replacement phone or pay for repairs to the one I have. The problem I have with this is, as I do more research online, I find out that it's not isolated but HUNDREDS of people online have experienced the same thing . Technicians that are repairing it say that it is a design flaw in the phone it's self because of the placement of the placement of the ribbon cable that connects the digitizer to the control board. Since it runs by the ear hole, moisture and particulates get to it and short it out. The technicians say that later motorola touch phones have this fixed by changing the location of the cable so you, at Motorola, must have figured this out as well.

That fact is what disappoints me most about this. You, the manufacturer KNOW this yet you refuse to help the consumers that purchased this phone with a defect that should be recalled and repaired, or at the very least, replace the phones with newer models at little or no charge. I signed a 2 year contract expecting the phone I purchased, AND AM STILL PAYING FOR THROUGH the subsidy added to my monthly phone bill to get the "discount" for signing a 2 year contract, to LAST TWO YEARS, yet it has failed not only once but TWICE with the same flaw.

I was hoping it would last long enough that I could evaluate other phones that you have coming out when I do have my upgrade available, but now, I am very wary about purchasing ANY Motorola products based on how you have handled this issue. I have previously bragged about and recommended my Motorola Droid but now I have to hide it and find work arounds to simply USE it thanks to this design flaw until I can afford to get a replacement.

If there is anything you can do to reconcile this flaw so my phone would be fully functional for the remainder of my contract, I would greatly appreciate that. If not, I will NOT consider future Motorola products and will seek other options for my mobile needs. "

I really doubt it will amount to much but if you have had the same problem, maybe you can email them too and if enough folks gripe, we might get something done.

I've been having trouble with my touch screen lately. I wonder if this is the same issue. I'm going to call Big Red tomorrow. I'll report back what they say. I'm coming up on a year, before the warranty is over.

Well, Motorola gave me the "it's only covered for a year" line in a form letter. It's all over forums including their's that people are having problems with it wearing out too fast but they won't acknowledge it. I understand that there is a certain planned obsolescence to phones but they should at LEAST last long enough to finish a contract. Looks like I'll be doing an early upgrade or carrying a bum phone for a while.

I had exactly the same thing happen to my droid(s). Both the original and the "certified like new" replacement unit they sent me lasted 8 months each. Now I'm stuck without a warranty and several months away from my upgrade. Verizon/Motorola won't stand by it's replacement unit. Clearly it's a known hardware defect (as evidenced by the numerous posts I've found online and the admission of a verizon tech I spoke to a couple days ago) and the simple fact that this is the second droid I've had these problems with.

The phone is unusable. It's never been dropped, subject to heat or cold, water, damage etc, etc. Just normal everyday usage. I take good care of my technology, cars, equipment and to have this happen to two of them is completely unacceptable to me.

Customer service suggested I do open enrollment in the 3rd party insurance plan and submit a claim to get another certified like new phone. I told her that would be unethical and immoral at best and possible insurance fraud.

I decided to go ahead and upgrade to the T'bolt. It's AWESOME! MUCH more fluid and solid than the Droid. One of the things I was hoping to do was hold out to compare all the options that are due out, the Charge, the Bionic (which may not come out now), the T'bolt and the iPhone 5 but now I will NEVER get another Motorola product after how they responded to this. If I can't count on them to stand behind a phone I'm technically still paying for, I can't count on them at all. T'bolt is a much better experience, even with Sense.

I am having the same issues with my Motorolo Driod phone. We bought the phones about a year ago and my touch screen is now unusable. It jumps around like something behind the scene is touching different areas, it will end calls on me or not respond at all to any touch on the screen anywhere. I have to pull the battery out and force a reboot. Once the phone is rebooted it does not fix the problem and starts up all over again.

Back