DroidX sdcard - reading from pc?

jackmccarron

Reaction score
When I connect my DX to my pc, and use windows explorer to look at the DX I can only see the sdcard "removable storage" contents. Within that, I can only see a few folders: albums, downloads, and dcim (which contains only SOME of my picture/video folders. These folders seem to be media related. I want to see it ALL.

Is there a way to:

1. see the contents of the DX internal memory files (in addition to the sd card)?

2. see the rest of the stuff on the sdcard (there's lots)?

Since Astrozip and Android System can see all these things, why not the pc?

What option are selecting when connecting your device? "Windows Sync, USB Mass Storage, etc."?

Also, in order to see the "internal memory files", you will have to do so through adb or a terminal emulator application.

I'm using a usb cable between my DX and my pc (winXP). When I first did this the MotoConnect drivers were installed on the pc (from the phone or downloaded?). When I right click on the Motorola icon in my sys tray the only option it gives me is "launch web page if applicable". Other modes like "Motorola phone tools", Data connection", "modem", or "RNDIS" are not available for selection (see "about MotoConnect").

Where would I find other options like "Windows Sync, USB Mass Storage, etc." that you mentioned?

On the phone, before plugging in the usb cable, I select "usb debugging" from settings/applications/development/ - which I understand is needed to read/modify the sdcard files from the pc. So I assume I'm in some sort of "usb mass storage" mode. I'm not aware of any other options that I have.

In order to see the "internal memory files", you suggested that I'll need an adb or a terminal emulator application. Where might I find those?

Thanks for you help!

When you plug your device into your computer, there should be something under your phone's notification window that says "USB Connection...manage your..." Select this, and it will give you the options I mentioned above.

Also, as for obtaining adb, etc., look into rooting your device.

Aha - thank you. I've been in "PC Mode". Going to "usb mass storage" gives me the full contents of the sdcard - what I was looking for.

What will "Window Media Sync" do for me? I was looking for a way to do a total backup of my DX apps and settings including wallpaper and home page layouts, etc - will that do it for me?

I've been thinking about rooting, but know little about it. Will I be able to store apps on the sdcard after rooting? Will froyo allow that without rooting? Seems like one of the main advantages of rooting, for me at leasst, would be to get rid of crap like "city id".

Also, by rooting might I be able to use the DX as a wireless hot spot without the extra $30/month to vzw? I know the DX has hot spot capability built-in, but that incurs the extra charge.

Thanks,
Jack

- "Windows Media Sync" will most likely let you stream music, videos, etc., to and from your phone and Windows-based operating systems.

- You can backup your applications, settings, etc., with apps such as "MyBackup Pro", and "Titanium Backup".

- Not sure about storing apps on the sdcard, as I don't wish to do this on my device(s), so have little knowledge of it; pretty sure it will be available on Froyo though.

- Yes, you will be able to give off wifi from your device; just download "Wireless Tether" from the market.

Back