DX GB ota root?

neemo6

Reaction score
My girlfriend has a droidX and she just recieved the gingerbread ota update. She is on stock rom and has never been rooted. Im wondering if this can be rooted and overclocked w/ setCPU?

Yes you have to download the TBH leaked gb it will give you root access from there you just download droid overclock by jrummy and your set.

Sent from my Liberated DROIDX

Edit: you have to flash back to froyo then install the gb after rooting

I was rooted when I had froyo by using z4root. Lost it and all the apparently I had when moto automatically downloaded and installed gingerbread. I sent them an email that I owned the phone not them and they should have giv en me the option me the option to accept it or not. Told them I wanted my froyo back or buy back my phone. Waiting for a reply.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

I was rooted when I had froyo by using z4root. Lost it and all the apparently I had when moto automatically downloaded and installed gingerbread.

To my knowledge you couldn't update without sbfing back to stock froyo if you were rooted. So please explain how you got it.
I tried updating it while I unrooted but even then it says update failed. So did you sbf back then get the update?

Sent from my Liberated DROIDX

There have been many reports of rooted DX's getting the OTA. The exception may be weather or not you have the stock bootstrap. It will install if all the stock apps are present and active. The result will be an unrooted GB system. To my knowledge GB is not rootable yet. If you want root and the 596 OTA you need to SBF back to Froyo and flash the rooted GB leak.

I read that if you we're rooted and the update started, it could brick your phone. So I unrooted my phone so this wouldn't happen.

I read that if you we're rooted and the update started, it could brick your phone. So I unrooted my phone so this wouldn't happen.

My friends phone was rooted, but pretty much stock, only had wireless tether (no flame war please) and the update appeared on his phone. He downloaded and installed it, but lost root.

My friends phone was rooted, but pretty much stock, only had wireless tether (no flame war please) and the update appeared on his phone. He downloaded and installed it, but lost root.
Me too. I just can't decide to SBF back to Froyo and do the 2 part or just stay with OTA. All I want to do is wipe battery data for the 38000mah battery I got. Not sure if it's worth the risk?

Just got a DX and my friend was kind enough to accept and install the ota for me. I ended up sbf back to frito (swype) and rooting etc. without a problem. I have to admit it's kinda time consuming and annoying if you have to download everything.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Me too. I just can't decide to SBF back to Froyo and do the 2 part or just stay with OTA. All I want to do is wipe battery data for the 38000mah battery I got. Not sure if it's worth the risk?

Your phone must be pretty thick with that battery. :icon_eek:

I hope it's rooted soon. I just picked up Another Droid X today (I missed my Android), and really wanna run Liberty again (if Liberty has a GB version. Gotta research). Or run CM7 when it's fully operational

I should have my Droid X back from motorola this week and the first thing im going to due is sbf back to froyo, root, then go back to .596 via the 2 part install. Then its back to liberty, or CM7 if they have it going this week.

Back