Encrypting the Nexus

Five-0

Reaction score
This is for anyone that has encrypted their phone. I'm thinking about doing this as I keep more and more sensitive data on my phone. Are there any negatives to doing this? NOT negatives you have heard about, but personal negative experiences. I don't have a problem with entering a pass code, but concerned about the overall performance of the phone being slowed, messing up app updates, messing up the phones alarm ect.

Thanks.

One guy was on here asking for help since he turned on encryption "just to see". Once the file is on the SD card with the phone booted up, the file becomes encrypted. It was a problem for him because he wanted to root and install a ROM. Every time he put a ROM zip on his internal storage and booted into recovery, it was already encrypted and couldn't be accessed. There are ways around that, but I'd say if you're into ROMing/flashing etc, that it's really not a good idea.

I have never rooted or messed with this phone or my old Droid 1. I am happy with the stock performance, so keeping it stock is not a problem.

The performance hit you're going to see is almost not noticeable. I had my device encrypted for quite some time, it was a bit of a pain in the butt putting in a pin code or password instead of just a swype pattern, but as long as you're willing to deal with the little added delay unlocking your device, you should be fine. Also it'll take about twice as long to boot the phone. Encrypting the phone wont have any affect on app updates at all, those all occur when the phone is operational, and phone alarms will continue to work normally. Like I said, the only difference you're going to see is the boot time takes longer, and it might seem a little more sluggish during day-to-day operation, but that will be negligible.

Thanks for asking this question OP. What about music files on the phone, if I try to play them in a non stock player, will they work normally?

Also, are the files unencrypted when they are synced to cloud storage?

Yep, your music files will play in any player on your phone, when you're using your phone, everything is unencrypted. When they files are up in the cloud they're also unencrypted there as well.

Sweet. The security is worth the boot delay. Rarely is the phone powered down anyway. Glad this thread took off, thanks teg94.:clap:

Back