Flashing updates

mattym320

Reaction score
When flashing update nightlys do I have to wipe everything again?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

When flashing update nightlys do I have to wipe everything again?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Generally speaking if you are staying on the same build (4.0.3 > 4.0.3 for example), and same ROM then no, wiping may not be mandatory. But... there are a lot of exceptions to this rule. A lot of devs will recommend you wipe between flashes, especially if there are a lot of changes. It is hard to track down a problem, when you aren't starting from a clean slate.

I almost always wipe. Not wiping tends to cause problems. It takes me a few extra minutes to get set back up, but nothing major. I like playing it safe than sorry. I tend to flash ROMs at night, go to work the next day, it would be a bad note if I get there and something I want/need doesn't work properly because I didn't wipe (this has happened to me before lol).

tl;dr It is almost always recommended to wipe, but not always mandatory. If the dev says you can install without wiping, you can give it a go.

I would also add that is you do not wipe then the dev will not typically address any bugs you experience unless you have since flashed the ROM with a complete wipe.

Like cupfulloflol I always wipe as well, just to be on the safe side. I will admit that may be over the top a bit but I intend to keep doing so :biggrin:

Back