For Anybody Having Getting the "Invalid Battery" Message:

xlivewire7x

Reaction score
After updating to 2.2 I received this message whenever I tried to charge the phone, and the battery icon in the top right of the device showed a question mark. A factory reset will not resolve this issue and once the battery dies you cannot charge it through the phone. After speaking with Verizon reps from two different stores (who tried putting their batteries into my phone and had the same problem) they both recommended that I call warranty services. This is your only option at this point, however Verizon will replace your phone at no charge and will send you a new or refurbished phone via FedEx (I called Verizon today, 9/23, and they said that it would be delivered no later than tomorrow, 9/24). The phone call only took about 5 minutes and the rep had no problems with sending me a new phone. If anybody has had this error, please let me know if you did anything to your device that may have caused it as I would like to diagnose the problem and give steps to preventing it. Thanks and good luck everybody!

Edit: The number for Verizon Warranty Service in the US is: 1-866-406-5154

Edit 2: Just realized how poorly worded the thread title was, not sure how to edit it though :)

Last edited:
In addition to my OEM battery, I have two aftermarket batteries. Both batteries worked perfectly pre-2.2. After installing 2.2 I get a message stating that the battery is an invalid non-Motorola battery, and the battery will not charge in the phone (I can still charge the batteries in the external adapter).

I know there is nothing wrong with the batteries since they worked flawlessly before the software upgrade. I am wondering if there is anything I can do to get these batteries to charge in the phone. I cannot seek warranty assistance as these are not Mororola products. The OEM battery supplied with the phone does charge in the phone.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

In addition to my OEM battery, I have two aftermarket batteries. Both batteries worked perfectly pre-2.2. After installing 2.2 I get a message stating that the battery is an invalid non-Motorola battery, and the battery will not charge in the phone (I can still charge the batteries in the external adapter).

I know there is nothing wrong with the batteries since they worked flawlessly before the software upgrade. I am wondering if there is anything I can do to get these batteries to charge in the phone. I cannot seek warranty assistance as these are not Mororola products. The OEM battery supplied with the phone does charge in the phone.

I'm in the same situation. Would like to see a resolution for this also.

I'm in the same situation. Would like to see a resolution for this also.

This is a little bit of a different issue than mine because my OEM battery would not charge in the phone. However in your case I understand that your OEM battery works fine but the phone does not recognize the other batteries. I'm curious about this because I remember reading another thread on here somewhere about competitor brand batteries not working in the X after the 2.2 update which leads me to believe that Verizon/Motorola have made it so the Droid X only recognizes Motorola batteries in an effort to increase profits from battery sales (if this is the case then it's they are being WAY too greedy). This may also be a glitch in the X's 2.2 and a fix may be released but I'm not sure if this is the case. I'll look around for some more info and if I find anything I'll post it here. You may also want to call Verizon support and ask them is they have information about the issue.

Back