Google Maps?

Nblufire12

Reaction score
hey guys,

I'm going to canada for a couple days and I would like to not get lost while walking around to different restaurants.

I heard that i will get charged $2.05 per MB if I use data. Is there any way around this with google maps?

Can I pre-cache the area I will be in and navigate and get directions once I am there with no data...?

Any insight would be great

Thanks!

It all depends on what phone you have. Older phones have gps that also relies on data but most (if not all) newer 4g phones have a gps option that does not rely on data. If you have the latter, then you could pre-load maps and use your gps.

An easy way to find out, is go into your gps settings and enable all. Turn off your data and wifi. Go to your maps and see if your phone's gps can find you.

I have a gnex lte

I tried that, I can lock in GPS and it gets my location but I can't get directions or navigation of pre cached areas

Is there anything I can do???

Try Sygic gps navigation. It offers a free 7 day trial but is very user friendly. NavFree is free and works fairly well but not as user friendly. Don't forget that you have to download over wifi, the maps you will need before hand.

You can also buy a packet of usage to use while your there, rates are much better. Call your carrier and check, this is what I do. My wife is from Canada and we go there often, nothing sucks worse than having a smart device and not being able to use it!

Azle

Well, I have Sygic news to report! Excellent navigator. I used the Sygic trial for the first time yesterday on my 13 hour trip to pick up my son at JFK coming home from a semester in Venice (a happy happy day for me... this mommy was very excited to see her youngest make it home safely).

I used Sygic, side by side, with my google navigator and my friend's at&t paid one year subscription navigator on her 4G htc phone.

First off, let me say... be happy with verizon! AT&T can not hold a gps signal to save its life. All we heard on that thing is "Unable to get gps" and "gps now available" only to hear 2 seconds later "Unable..." She was ready to throw her phone out the window. Meanwhile, I never even lost my signal going through lincoln tunnel. It, even on the spot, exactly pinpointed when I crossed over the NJ-NY state line, deep underneath the Hudson River in a solid brick tunnel (or whatever that tunnel is made of)!

I loved Sygic. It is much more accurate than google navigation with no delay whatsoever in exact position. The lane assist is super helpful, especially in NY city where you never know what lane you should be in. No problems whatsoever with Sygic though. It also gives you the turn prompts a few seconds before google and sometimes google's turn prompt came after the turn was already made.

What I missed in Sygic that google has is the little graphic that lets you know which way you are turning next and the next turn after that. Maybe Sygic's paid version has that. But it also was not really necessary because the lane assist makes sure you're in the lane you need to be to make whatever turn you need to make.

The other thing that sygic did not seem to be as good at was rerouting when necessary. With google, when I want to take a different route than the one it suggests, it seems to figure that out pretty fast and will reroute me. With Sygic, it kept telling me for miles "take a u-turn" and I kept telling it, "No, sorry but I want to go this way!" It wasn't listening to me! but finally Sygic would give up and figure I was too far gone to make that u-turn and would reroute me.

Back