Google Music Coming in Honeycomb According to Motorola CEO

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score

Motorola CEO already confirmed pricing for the XOOM today and gave us word on pricing for a wifi-only version, but he isn’t stopping there. During his time at MWC, he also let slip some tidbits about the upcoming music service from Google that will compete with Apple’s iTunes. While it’s no secret that Google Music has been in the works, this is one of the first times we’ve heard anyone with any sort of voice actually make reference to it. Jha also made it sound as if Honeycomb would be the first version of Android to take advantage of this new service…
Speaking at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, Jha said: “If you look at Google Mobile services [via Android] today, there’s a video service, there’s a music service – that is, there will be a music service.” He added that the value of the upgrade to the Android system, known as “Honeycomb”, which will power the forthcoming Motorola Xoom tablet is that “it adds video services and music services”.
I don’t know about the majority of folks out there, but to me, this is huge news. There is nothing more frustrating than having to download songs in iTunes and then transfer them over to my device. Having the ability to handle all of your multimedia needs on a phone and/or tablet is one of the key ingredients that have been missing from Android since the beginning.
We’ve seen bits and pieces of a Honeycomb music player that hinted at streaming or syncing of music, so here’s to hoping for a Google I/O unveiling. Did I mention we’ll be there?
Your thoughts?

Source droidlife and Wicked on android.net

Last edited by a moderator:
If they were able to get the record companies to agree to their initial plans for google music and it has all the features that have been reported about it... it would be a major blow to apple and itunes.

Agreed. As I was formerly in the music industry myself, I fully understand how the major labels operate. That's why my band never went big, we (1 had various obligations the prevented full-time commitment and (2 didn't want to sell our souls. :)

too much going on for my minimal taste, I wish people would learn from ubuntu. that is a beautiful system UI

For me personally I love anythang with cover art. I personally like the UI of that app but I agree, Ubuntu makes some nasty UIs. That's one OS I hardly ever mess with. Maybe add some transparency here and there. And I'm a minimal guy too :D

Me too. I used to be a hardcore Lala user and it was without a doubt the best music service ever and I'm sure they would've made an Android app but mutha f$#!@! iTunes killed them off by buying and never doing anythang with the assets. Apple's just a bunch of playa hatas!

Me too. I used to be a hardcore Lala user and it was without a doubt the best music service ever and I'm sure they would've made an Android app but mutha f$#!@! iTunes killed them off by buying and never doing anythang with the assets. Apple's just a bunch of playa hatas!

I feel your pain...

Unfortunately, Google does that, too. :(

Well, as pointed out in one article, there have been a number of "challengers" to ITunes and all have been soundly thumped.

But cloud is Google, so could be something here. My biggest beef is offline play. The stream/cloud is great until you are on an airplane and don't have internet access. Zune and Napster let you keep files offline, but I think the quality is only 128bits.

I pay @ $35 a year for Pandora high-def and it's great. My next phone will have 40-48 gigs of storage so don't care or want to store my music in the cloud.

Haha very good point sir. One problem on my end....I've exceeded the amount you specified. Ironically most of my music is all one genre too! :D

Haha very good point sir. One problem on my end....I've exceeded the amount you specified. Ironically most of my music is all one genre too! :D

That's impressive....What are you coding everything in FLAC? I do everything in 192bit MP3 and get about 180 songs per gig. Of course, classical music is often double or triple the average song.

Haha no I usually use VBR 320-256k. A lot of mine is collected from bands when I toured who would hand me their EP or CD since we were all bros. As far as the classical...you won't find that on mine. Just a lot of Metalcore/Hardcore. And maybe 45% rap...hahahaha :icon_ banana:

Back