Google nav/ GPS getting better or just inconsistent

CBLJazz

Reaction score
Earlier this afternoon my phone couldn't even find a GPS signal after 30 mins of searching.
Tonight it found the signal immediately and gave me directions that were better than ever.
Normally when I navigate home it tells me to stay on the major streets even when they don't make sense but tonight it chose side streets that are smarter.

Is gnav inconsistent or getting better?

my experience has been inconsistent. I don't go anywhere new without looking it up on Google Maps first and usually jotting down directions so I have a guide, because at least half the time I try to use it, the GPS can't find a signal, despite the fact that I'm in a heavily popluated area and everyone around me seems to have plenty of signal. It's just not reliable enough to...rely on.

As a back up I at least have the map as well. But still... I hope it does get better because it's an awesome addition (never had one before).

I've found it to be inconsistent at times, but usually pretty good.

Oddly, I've found that if I can't seem to locate a GPS signal, I can search for directions and then choose to navigate from the map...and then it finds the GPS signal with no problem. I don't know why this works, but it does for me.

My business takes me to several different places that I have never been everyday. I use Google nav a lot. Late this afternoon was the only problem that I have had with getting a signal. It searched for 5 minutes without fixing. I backed out and re-entered the address and it found me instantly. Go figure?!?

i am getting a lot of nav complaints lately from my clients-i'm in the oem car biz....the feds mostly own the sats as i know it....when they need them, they take them i've been told....and past week or so my droid nav has been searching a lot too....it may be slow or zero sometimes, but it's free, works over the top most times, and street view is incredible....i pleased with it....

my experience has been inconsistent. I don't go anywhere new without looking it up on Google Maps first and usually jotting down directions so I have a guide, because at least half the time I try to use it, the GPS can't find a signal, despite the fact that I'm in a heavily popluated area and everyone around me seems to have plenty of signal. It's just not reliable enough to...rely on.

As a back up I at least have the map as well. But still... I hope it does get better because it's an awesome addition (never had one before).

I am not sure what your being in a heavy populated area would have to do with the GPS other than it NOT working as well as possible. GPS (Satellite's) need a open clear view to the sky to operate efficiently. Buildings, trees, and anything of that sort could obscure, or even degrade the ability to lock on a good signal.

I didn't use mine today, but every time that I have it has been almost flawless. If you are not locked on to a satellite, you will be getting navigated via AGPS, which uses cellular towers to "approximate" your location and planned end point. It is only accurate to within 1000 meters or worse.

I am not sure what your being in a heavy populated area would have to do with the GPS other than it NOT working as well as possible.
Might be better for AGPS if you assume that heavily populated means more towers. Shouldn't matter for GPS though. I think part of the problem is that people seem to use GPS as a term for anything vaguely nav-related.

I haven't had any problems with Google Nav but I haven't used it that much either. I did, however, rely on it completely on a road trip over the weekend.

I have put a post up the other day with the same issue. Mods can you combine the threads so we can keep up with everyone who is having this same issue? Really starting to hate google maps. Can VZ nav be used on the Droid?

My wife has vz nav on her bb and it's perfect.
I'd love to use it on the droid until gnav is fixed.

My wife has vz nav on her bb and it's perfect.
I'd love to use it on the droid until gnav is fixed.

Won't make a difference. the trouble is with getting GPS locked in, not with Google Maps software. I've had GPS issues with Waze and other GPS enabled apps too. Everything seems to be working fine now. I'm sure we'll hear something about a GPS satellite issue.

Back