Gorilla Glass 3 Shows Off Under Stress Test Against Steel Ball & 100 Pounds Pressure

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;XjFFqKEo6KU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=XjFFqKEo6KU[/video]​

Corningware, the makers of Gorilla Glass 3 had a pretty cool demo of the strength of their new product that they shared at CES. The folks at mobilesyrup.com caught it on video for your viewing pleasure. In the video, we see the glass subjected to a stell ball and 100 pounds of pressure, and still come out fully intact and unblemished. Here's a quote from Corningware,

Gorilla Glass 3 is not only chemically strengthened — its atomic configuration is formulated so that the glass is less brittle, and fundamentally tougher and more damage resistant even before chemical strengthening.

Source: MobileSyrup

That is pretty impressive, but of course it's a demo kiosk so I am a bit skeptical...

I wonder if it's more resistant to being dropped at certain angles like how most phones crack.

That is pretty impressive, but of course it's a demo kiosk so I am a bit skeptical...

I wonder if it's more resistant to being dropped at certain angles like how most phones crack.

That and you have to take size into consideration too.. The larger the surface... The more pressure around the edges... Causing the screen to crack at a lower point...

I'm not taking anything away from the product... It looks like it should do really well..

Cellar Door

"Who are you people and where is my horse?"

That a d you have to take size into consideration too.. The larger the surface... The more pressure around the edges... Causing the screen to crack at a lower point...

I'm not taking anything away from the product... It looks like it should do really well..

Cellar Door

"Who are you people and where is my horse?"
Yes, this as well.

I too am a bit skeptical as it is a demo booth but you have to admit, you really can't change physics. The ball is the same ball that broke the competitors glass. The aluminum metal being dented...ya, aluminum is soft. That is just to trick you because to you, its metal, metal is hard. But the 100lbs of pressure is the impressive one. Too bad he wasn't using a piece of glass the size of modern phones. More surface area means less force needed to break it. Would have also liked to see it compared to Corning GG1 and GG2.

All in all though, still impressive.

Enough with these "unrealistic tests" want to prove to me this glass is tough, put it in a smartphone and drop the sucker. I've seen so many smartphones with Gorilla Glass and spiderweb cracks from corner to corner after just ONE FREAKIN' DROP. Get real! These tests are more like smoke and mirrors. A magician only shows you what he wants you to see.
:soapbox:

Enough with these "unrealistic tests" want to prove to me this glass is tough, put it in a smartphone and drop the sucker. I've seen so many smartphones with Gorilla Glass and spiderweb cracks from corner to corner after just ONE FREAKIN' DROP. Get real! These tests are more like smoke and mirrors. A magician only shows you what he wants you to see.
:soapbox:

Good points, but still, gotta give them credit for still being on the bleeding edge with this stuff. You don't see anyone else coming along making something better, and I'm looking at my Razr Maxx right now which I've had for about 10 months... It's taken 5 or 6 hard drops, has never had a case or invisible shield on it, and there is not one single crack or visible scratch anywhere on the glass.

Back