GPS on Droid for Israel

Ilana

Reaction score
I'm interested in using my Verizon droid Bionic for GPS while in Israel. Does anyone know if this is possible, and could I do it without incurring roaming charges on my phone or even if it would work.
Thanks.

GPS can not get a fix without data service. Before I went to China, I loaded the maps in cache. You could see them, but not get a fix on exact location. I got a fix only when I was in a WiFi cafe that gave me the password.

All of you are wrong. The Bionic uses SGPS, not AGPS like lesser phones so it can use the basic GPS without data. All you have to do is go to Maps, use the labs precache function for the areas you will be, and save the maps to your phone. When you arrive in Israel you can even run in airplane mode and the GPS works perfectly to track where you are. Obviously other functions like directions or address search will not work without data. I did this for 2 weeks in Europe last month with my bionic and it worked great.

I also have used GPS with my bionic on planes and in Europe in airplane mode no wifi.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Back