Have spotty reception- how to turn off reception and ONLY use wifi for Google Voice?

mouse1999

Reaction score
I'm in an area where I get 4G and 3G reception w/ Verizon intermittently...but I have constant wifi.

The problem is that since my phone is detecting a phone signal from the towers off and on, it's trying to connect Google Voice through that instead of on wifi...how can I turn off all phone signals and only use wifi when I'm in an area like this?

Thanks in advance.

You can set up a smart action based on your location to turn off cellular data.

Mouse, Google Voice is not designed inherently to do wifi calling. It can't. That being said, because GV does have the interaction with Google Talk, there is an app that was developed and basically works like the call from web app (utilizes SIP basically). Anyway, the app is called Groove IP (there could be others out there by now, not sure) but anyway that will use only wifi and 0 minutes on your calling plan. For that reason alone, that's a pretty slick deal at $4.99 since you can lower your calling plan potentially and/or cancel a home line if you have reliable calling via wifi.

As far as reception, turn your phone to "airplane mode" to disable all radios and then enable wifi. There's a "quick settings" widget that is slick for toggling between them and you can make that sit in your taskbar tray at the top.

Groove IP https://market.android.com/details?id=com.gvoip
Quick Settings https://market.android.com/details?id=com.bwx.bequick

Hope that helps!

Basschica

I use grove IP on my Toshiba thrive tablet but google voice seems to work fine with network only on my Razr.I uninstalled groove IP since I was getting prompts coming up when making a call.

Thanks for the heads up on Quick Settings. Good looking app.

Yeah there are some settings in GrooveIP for just using on wifi etc. I believe, but you're right it can get really annoying fast getting duplicate notices/calls etc. I recommend only using it on a wifi only basis. Disable the cell radios and use wifi only if you're going to use it. I suspect it's a big battery drain too when it's competing with regular cell service. In the case of the original poster though it sounded like cell coverage was spotty and draining the battery anyway, so doing the airplane mode, then enable wifi, then use Groove IP should be a pretty good solution.

I've been pretty happy with Quick settings. It's a great free app for sure. It saves on a ton of widgets clogging up your home screen.

I've also been happy with the category options for sorting the apps on the Razr. That allows me to put things into a single shortcut for things I need to find somewhat quickly but don't need to be immediately accessible by the main screen.

Basschica

I use grove IP on my Toshiba thrive tablet but google voice seems to work fine with network only on my Razr.I uninstalled groove IP since I was getting prompts coming up when making a call.

Thanks for the heads up on Quick Settings. Good looking app.

Back