Hello Jelly Bean goodbye Adobe Flash

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I remember when I learned about Flash no longer being developed for mobile devices. Now that JB has been made official we are about to see the effects of not having Flash. Can someone explain to me what might be different? I use Chrome to surf on my GNex and I remember hearing that Flash isnt even incorporated in Chrome. Does this mean I wont notice anything? Probably many of us havent researched this so lets get someone in here to shine some light on this topic. Thanks!

I have not used flash at all since my OG Droid days. There is really not much of a difference.

I think alot of sites have switched to HTML5, if not, flash isn't really heavily used anymore. Also, when was the last time you used flash on your Android? I thought about this too, but it's hard to come up with any site that uses flash that I visit on my phone.

The only time I need flash is when using sites like firstrowsports to stream UFC fights if I'm not home. Otherwise, I'll notice no change since my main browser is chrome as well. But I'd still rather have it.

BenLand150 said:
The only time I need flash is when using sites like firstrowsports to stream UFC fights if I'm not home. Otherwise, I'll notice no change since my main browser is chrome as well. But I'd still rather have it.

This is my thing as well. Not with that specific site, but I have a few that are behind the times and still use flash for things. I also just don't like the idea of losing something that I had, even if it isn't extremely useful anymore.

yeah, I read that a day or 2 ago. There's 2 reasons I don't really care

1) HTML5 is going to be the future. While some sites have been slacking, they'll probably switch very soon. When iOS AND Android don't support it, these sites wont want to miss out on the traffic
2) the biggest reason I don't care. Developers will likely have a rigged up flash before 4.1 even gets officially released

You can still use Flash on Jelly Bean. Just make sure you have the Flash apk saved somewhere before Adobe pulls support off the market for Jelly Bean devices (sometimes in August I do believe). I'm sure you can still get the latest copy of Flash after that deadline as well with a well placed Google search.

And to answer your question you won't notice anything different if you don't install Flash as you use Chrome anyways, which doesn't and will NEVER support Flash. You will have to have the Flash apk installed and use a browser (stock, Dolphin, etc) that supports it.

I do the exact same thing lol!

Back