Home ++ - Making Droid Slower

olletsocmit

Reaction score
I just installed Home ++ a day ago and my droid seems to be slower then it used to me. I can notice a speed difference. does ne one else think that it slows down the phone.

Not at all. If anything, I've found it to be as fast if not faster than the native Home software, although 2.0.1 really sped up things like swiping between home screens.

Strange as it may sound, I'm even convinced my battery life has improved since installing it, though that might be more because of 2.0.1, too.

I haven't noticed a difference, myself.

It's a Beta app so there's bound to be some problems. I installed it and found it a little laggy and it didn't work well with one of my widgets. So I removed it. I really liked it, just waiting until it's a little more stable. Other's have had good success with it.

Too many 3rd party apps running in the background. Get an app killer, and turn off apps running in the background that are not in use. Android os is able to effectively run with native apps in the background, but when combined with multiple 3rd party apps, which are running concurrently it significantly slows down system performance. It's a known issue within the Android community. Thus, any time my phone begins to slow I know that I have to many apps running. It appears that 3rd party apps load automatically when: 1. You open them (and some stay on even after you exit the app); 2. You access the web (don't know why); 3. When you access the market; 4. When you open the app drawer; 5. At random (However, realizing that I access the web and market daily it hard to say whether the apps are really turning on randomly, or it is due to accessing the web and market).

I haven't been able to isolate, which apps are trigger by what actions but I think that is irrelevant. When downloading the apps it specifies what type of the access the app needs, and most of the ones I've downloaded require access to the web (not sure why), but I hypothesize that it has something to do with them automatically turning on after I access the web. Anyway, to me it's not a big deal. I'm willing to trade off having to disable apps from time to time, when my system starts slowing down, for apps that are useful to me.

One thing to make sure of with Home++ - Widgets on your stock home screen are still running unless you delete them. If you use Home++ full-time you should go back to your normal home screen and remove your widgets (shortcuts are okay though). Keep whatever widgets on your Home++ home screen so they aren't running twice (and using twice as many resources).

Home++ also comes with a built-in task killer, if you feel like using it. I occasionally use it, though usually for a specific purpose and not just because I feel like I'm low on resources. It is the list looking icon on the home++ bar on the bottom of the screen, next to the favorites button.

One thing to make sure of with Home++ - Widgets on your stock home screen are still running unless you delete them. If you use Home++ full-time you should go back to your normal home screen and remove your widgets (shortcuts are okay though). Keep whatever widgets on your Home++ home screen so they aren't running twice (and using twice as many resources).

Thanks for mentioning this. That might explain the issue I was having with one of my widgets.

I never realized this - how do I get from Home ++ back to the stock app, and then back to Home ++?

Home++ also comes with a built-in task killer, if you feel like using it. I occasionally use it, though usually for a specific purpose and not just because I feel like I'm low on resources. It is the list looking icon on the home++ bar on the bottom of the screen, next to the favorites button.

I never realized this - how do I get from Home ++ back to the stock app, and then back to Home ++?

Menu > Settings > Applications > manage applications > Home++ > 'clear defaults'
press home key, will give you choice of stock home or home++

Ok I deleted all the apps from the old Home...

A few more questions.

How do I STOP Visual Voicemail from automatically loading - I don't use it anymore.

Also, has anyone else noticed when pulling the app drawer up it takes a long time for it to alphabetize them and get it working?

Open you apps drawer and load up home++. It will give you a menu to switch.

You could do what martin mentioned. Or get the free app called Home switcher. It gives you the option to launch your desired "home" app, as well as pick one to make your default.

Sometimes if I notice Home++ running slow, and I've killed all apps. I'll go into home switcher, go into my stock home, then go into apps and force stop Home++, then go back to Home++. Runs a little faster/smoother after that.

Home++ runs much faster than the default Home interface that comes with the droid; at least, it does for me.

You could do what martin mentioned. Or get the free app called Home switcher. It gives you the option to launch your desired "home" app, as well as pick one to make your default.

Sometimes if I notice Home++ running slow, and I've killed all apps. I'll go into home switcher, go into my stock home, then go into apps and force stop Home++, then go back to Home++. Runs a little faster/smoother after that.

options are what make this phone great! thanks for the alternative!

Back