How can I assign different tones to App notifications?

King Bengals

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z Force -32G.
Moto Z Force Android 7.0

I would like to change the notification sounds my Texts & Voicemail make from my other apps like from ESPN updates, "Breaking News" updates etc..I know how to change "notification sounds" but that just assigns the same sound to everything. If the phone is on the table I'd like to hear if a text came in versions a sports update. I know with my old iPhone I could make a dedicated sound just for incoming texts. It seems like it should be an easy thing to do but all I can find online is how to change & set the same tone to all incoming notification.
Thanks!

Which SMS / Text app are you using? Verizon Message +, Google Messages, or a Play Store app? I'm not sure about Message + (don't use it as default, I use Messages) but Google Messages has options in each individual conversation to set a different notification sound for each individual conversation. Open the conversation > 3 dot menu > People & Options > Notification Sound. I use the default sound for all new texts except for my wife, I have a custom sound for all new messages from her so I know it's her (and never ignore them...:D).

To change other app's Notification sounds those are usually set somewhere in that apps menu / Settings. The Default Notification in the main Settings menu controls the default sound the phone uses for notifications; then each app that provides notifications normally has it's own menu to change the notification sound.

Voicemail for example: Apps > Voicemail > 3 dot menu > Settings > Select Notification > select the sound you want for all new voicemail messages.

Hopefully that helps answer the question.

Hi, I'm using the blue "messages" app which I think is the google app. I was using VZ Mess+ but it's photo attachment feature is all messed up now so I switch to the blue message app. I looked into what you said & I see the People & Options button. So are you saying there is no way to make all incoming texts from anyone have 1 certain tone & all other app notifications to have a different one? I would need to assign a separate tone to each of my most common texters if I want to separate texts notifications for all other notices? I looked in a few apps & you are right some have options to change their sound so that's cool. I thought I had to do it from Settings/ Apps/ choose the App & select from there but you actually do it directly on the App. Cool you were right about the VZ Voicemail. I can change it too. So basically I think I can just manually change all the apps that notify me in different tones, then let the "default tone" I have just work for all text messages. It's seems a little backwards but should work. Again thanks for all you help! :)

Yes you can have all texts play the same sound, by default the Messages app will assign the default Messages sound for all new texts. I was just explaining that you can separate sounds even further by individual chats if you want. I have every app on my phone that plays a notification sound set to a different sound, so I have an idea what the notification is just by the sound it makes; new mail, new text, new voice mail, new G Mail, alert from E Bay or Amazon, new Tapatalk message, new Hangouts message, etc, etc.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Back