How can I restore photos that were deleted by mistake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotDotSavvy

Reaction score
Imagine my surprise when I clicked on Gallery to review some photos and a strange amorphous black and white shape popped up. I should have thought twice before clicking on it, but of course I didn't. The shape seemed to repeat itself so I decided the best thing to do would be to delete it. That's when I realized that the album of yesterday's photos had disappeared. Of course they were not backed up to the cloud so how do I get them back? Is there some utility that will recover them? Secondly, what was that black glob all about?

I'm not quite sure what the "glob" could have been, maybe it's how you described it, but I have not heard of such a phenomenon before. As for restoring deleted pictures potentially, search around for file recovery software you can run on your Nexus from your computer, that is probably your best bet. Assuming you haven't saved a ton of files since losing the pictures. Data that is deleted doesn't actually get deleted, it just gives up its "spot" in memory for another file to overwrite it, but the file is actually still there until it is overwritten.

When precious image files or important business data goes inaccessible in the memory card due to some unpredicted reason, memory card recovery can ideally be implemented. Since minute issue of corruption can bring fatal case of severe loss in valuable data, so it’s important to implement some effective commercial data recovery tools. Such tools employ powerful method that can bring back all the lost data.

Since it is stored in the internal memory on the phone and there is no physical sd card. I'm sure you are very likely out of luck. While in theory, it is still "there", I do not know of any products that can recover deleted data on a working phone's internal memory.

Had there been an external SD card involved, you would actually be removing the card and using 3rd party methods to recover anything. The fact that any recovery has to go through the phone's interface is the real issue.

Since it is stored in the internal memory on the phone and there is no physical sd card. I'm sure you are very likely out of luck. While in theory, it is still "there", I do not know of any products that can recover deleted data on a working phone's internal memory.

Had there been an external SD card involved, you would actually be removing the card and using 3rd party methods to recover anything. The fact that any recovery has to go through the phone's interface is the real issue.

Technically the phone's internal storage IS an SD card. There is allotted space on the phone for system apps and such, then I believe the rest is "SD" storage. Any data recovery tool that can recover data from a mountable memory source should still work on the SD portion of the Nexus.

Technically the phone's internal storage IS an SD card. There is allotted space on the phone for system apps and such, then I believe the rest is "SD" storage. Any data recovery tool that can recover data from a mountable memory source should still work on the SD portion of the Nexus.

Hmm, I don't think I was clear then. Regardless of the physical location of the data. I do not think software exists that can access it. There is no traditional method to do this and when plugging the nexus into a PC, you are accessing things virtually. Without physical access to the mounted partition, I don't believe it will work. Until I'm proven wrong, I'm fairly certain I am right.

You could of course disassemble the phone, try and find the actual media responsible, and attempt recovery from that. I'm guessing this is out of the realm of most individuals abilities if it is even possible.

Moral of the story: Back up your stuff and don't delete something if you don't know what it is.

For the future you could turn on auto upload to G+ or dropbox for auto cloud storage. For G+ make sure they don't automatically get shared in your status to avoid potentially embarrassing photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back