How do we go about transfering apps/data to the Galaxy Nexus?

ohioDroid

Reaction score
Got my OG Droid here. Was thinking about getting a Bionic months ago, got turned off by the low screen quality, and now I'm glad I waited for the Galaxy Nexus.

Few problems, though. The GN (can we call it that?) doesn't have an sdcard and doesn't have USB Mass Storage. Computers can connect to it using MTP.

So say I back up my apps and their settings with Titanium Backup or another application that stores to the sdcard. Now I put that via MTP on the GN. How will these apps know to look not on the [nonexistant] sdcard, and not in a regular onboard file path, but to the one we've specified? Will they be able to restore the settings?

Quite honestly, I don't feel like losing my Angry Birds scores :happy3:

Got my OG Droid here. Was thinking about getting a Bionic months ago, got turned off by the low screen quality, and now I'm glad I waited for the Galaxy Nexus.

Few problems, though. The GN (can we call it that?) doesn't have an sdcard and doesn't have USB Mass Storage. Computers can connect to it using MTP.

So say I back up my apps and their settings with Titanium Backup or another application that stores to the sdcard. Now I put that via MTP on the GN. How will these apps know to look not on the [nonexistant] sdcard, and not in a regular onboard file path, but to the one we've specified? Will they be able to restore the settings?

Quite honestly, I don't feel like losing my Angry Birds scores :happy3:

Not sure that anyone here is going to be able to answer that question short of the one or two Brit's that have already bought the phone. The rest of us have no experience with the device. I think the setup might be similar to the Nexus S, you might have some luck there... are you a lucky Brit with the G-Nex or just planning out what you are going to do when you get the device?

Not sure that anyone here is going to be able to answer that question short of the one or two Brit's that have already bought the phone. The rest of us have no experience with the device. I think the setup might be similar to the Nexus S, you might have some luck there... are you a lucky Brit with the G-Nex or just planning out what you are going to do when you get the device?

No, not lucky. Just thinking ahead in preparation. Or more specifically, anticipation. I suspected perhaps a developer with more education would understand how Android 4.0 handles having no sdcard present better than me (which is pretty much not at all).

The other would be to install the app fresh, see where it sets up the save file, then just dump the old file over the new one and there ya go!

Ill dropbox the tit apk set it up then DL my backup from dropbox onto the nexi shouldn't b much issue

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

im no expert, but would just having titanium backup on the nexus and loading whatever backup file TB creates onto the GN, then do a restore, work? or is this too basic?

I would think you could plug it into your computer and see the files. I can't imagine it not having that capability.

Transferring media files won't be a big deal I believe, but data files might be trickier, so I'll be using dropbox when necessary, so I would definitely go the dropbox route. It's my understanding that you'll only be able to see certain folders when connected via MTP, so not sure you'll see the location for TB backup files. TB does let you look around and specify the backup folder, which should work. But why worry when dropbox gives 2GB free and TB will backup/restore directly to/from dropbox?

From my understanding, you'll just transfer your files via MTP, from your computer (after transferring them from your phone's sd card) right onto the internal memory of the Nexus. I believe after we have a good clockwork recovery (we may already have this, I'm not following it very closely), clockwork will repartition the internal memory so that we don't lose the data after we wipe and flash a new rom. Out of the box I believe everything is wiped when you flash.

Anyway, after you install TB and once you move your TB data on the Nexus, you should be able to open up TB and define where the backup storage is located. By default it's: /mnt/sdcard/TitaniumBackup. Under preferences you can define this backup storage location to where ever the data was transferred after you MTP'd it. Once you define this, TB will know where to look for the data and your restore should go just fine.

i think you could even use astro to backup apps to your sd card on your OG droid and then just transfer them from the comp to your nexus galaxy via mtp or even bluetoooth

But u can't restore the data needed for linking to market
i think you could even use astro to backup apps to your sd card on your OG droid and then just transfer them from the comp to your nexus galaxy via mtp or even bluetoooth

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Back