HTC EVO 4G Launch Day

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
sprint-selling-evo1.jpg

Sprint is launching the HTC EVO 4G today! If the first Android 4G Phone has peaked your interest, come join us over at our sister site: SprintDroids.com

HTC EVO 4G Specs:
  • 3G/4G capability
  • Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ QSD8650 (1GHz) processor
  • 4.3” capacitive display with pinch-to-zoom and tactile feedback
  • World-class HTML browser – bandwidth and quality that rival that of netbooks
  • Android 2.1, with access to more than 30,000 apps on Android Market
  • GoogleTM mobile services including Google SearchTM, Google MapsTM, Google TalkTM, GmailTM, YouTubeTM , and syncs with Google CalendarTM
  • Access to Google Goggles™ to search with pictures instead of words
  • Sprint Navigation, with turn-by-turn driving directions and 3D maps
  • Updated HTC Sense, award-winning user experience, which includes Friend Stream to integrate Facebook, Twitter and more into a single flow of updates
  • Visual voicemail
  • Messaging – personal and business email, IM and text messaging
  • 3G/4G Mobile Hotspot capability – connects up to eight Wi-Fi enabled devices
  • 4G data speeds (WiMAX) – peak download speeds of more than 10 Mbps; peak upload speeds of 1 Mbps; average download speeds of 3-6 Mbps.
  • 3G data speeds (EVDO Rev A.) – peak download speeds of up to 3.1 Mbps; peak upload speeds of 1.8 Mbps; average download speeds of 600 kbps-1.4 Mbps.

Just saw the news segment on it a few minutes ago. I have to admit it's a good looking phone overall. The only thing I wish my droid had that the Evo has, is the forward looking camera. Oh well, maybe in 1.5 years.

It's a good looking phone indeed, going to stop by the sprint store this morning and check one out.. My only problem is the network, not the phone :)

Sprint's network is pretty reliable, isn't it? Anyway, we got the Droid 2, Shadow, and possibly the Scorpion/Olympain coming.

The HTC Evo 4G, he world’s first 4G capable phone, is launching today! That’s right. This is certainly a monumental day in smartphone history. You should be able to grab one at your local Sprint Store, RadioShack, or Best Buy, in addition to Wirefly and many other online sites. Pricing is $199 with a 2-year contract with Sprint (after subtracting the $100 mail-in or instant rebate).

Article continued here:

Sprint HTC Evo 4G Launch Day! | DroidBlog - Android News

If Sprint service didn't suck around here I might consider it. Too many dead zones. I'm hoping we see a Verizon version of the Evo in the near future.

I actually got the chance to play with one last night at the HTC event in Los Angeles. I must say it was pretty cool but not enough to make me switch to Sprint.

MiXoLogist... same here. went to the NYC one... great looking screen, but no WiMax in NYC until at least September, no thanks

If you not on contract and dont have the Inc., the EVO is a nice phone. The thing that makes this nice is by the time Sprint have their 4G network fully running, this phone should be real cheap by then.

Sprint has as good or probably better service where I'm at. But I still here horror stories about Sprint cutting off service after 1 day late, .50 past due, etc. I thought that was in the past? That scared me away from Sprint.

And the Verizon of the EVO?

Sprint's network is pretty reliable, isn't it? Anyway, we got the Droid 2, Shadow, and possibly the Scorpion/Olympain coming.

And the Droid Pro. The Droid Pro could be 4G, u never know. I believe its possible the Shadow could have 4G. Might not have the network....lol

We just have to wait n see. It does have a nice size screen for viewing movies and websites. U get a 4.3"- 5" screen and u might can skip getting a Tablet.

MiXoLogist... same here. went to the NYC one... great looking screen, but no WiMax in NYC until at least September, no thanks

Agreed, until they get WIMAX working in more than just a few test neighborhoods like the Wall ST area and UWS, there's no point. The EVO is just a bigger HTC Incredible right now. I don't think the performance difference between my rooted OC'd Droid and the Evo is big enough without 4G.

Agreed, until they get WIMAX working in more than just a few test neighborhoods like the Wall ST area and UWS, there's no point. The EVO is just a bigger HTC Incredible right now. I don't think the performance difference between my rooted OC'd Droid and the Evo is big enough without 4G.

Quoted for truth.

Quoted for truth.

I forgot to mention that HTC also has a suspect track record with build quality in my experience. Their products never seem to hold up as well as you think they will when you first buy them. I trust Moto more than HTC in that regard.

this is a great addition for android. my buddy has sprint and refuses to switch because of price (ended up turning out he couldn't keep his current price plan, but still cheaper than verizon). every store we went to had lines, every store was sold out, every person in line was super excited about the phone. there were a lot of people on sprint that were waiting for a solid android phone to switch to. i'm excited for all the new people coming over, this is a good day for android's future.

Yeah, Im not looking to pay $10/month extra for 4G when i cant even use it yet lol.

A co-worker got his yesterday.
Pretty slick, and an awesome screen.

Back