I think I bricked my Droid

Rigor

Reaction score
Phone was working beautifully all day as always, phone calls in, phone calls out, voicemail, texts, Wifi and Apps all humming just fine. Get home put it on the charger and realize a few hours later that I hadn't received a call that I was expecting.

Symptoms: Tried to call, call never connected after about 15 seconds the "call lost" notification popped up and returned to home screen. tried to call voicemail. Same notification. Cannot send or receive texts. Called my number from Room mate's phone, straight to voicemail. no response from my Droid. WiFi and Apps working fine.

Attempted fixes: cycle the Droid off/on. no change. Cycle off/remove/replace battery/ cycle on. No change. Checked settings, noted Mobile network State: Disconnected randomly switched to "connecting" but never succeeded. Cycled Airplane mode on/off and wifi on/off to see if it would connect. No change

finally i backed up what I could and tried a factory reset through the Privacy menu. Attempted to "activate" the phone but cannot connect. It says find a better signal and try again. Signal bar shows bars (3 of 4), but no 3G or 1x box. Now I cannot activate my phone to access it. :mad:

Any Ideas?

Have you called verizon?? Sounds like a network issue, maybe a tower down in your area??

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I know it sounds stupid, but can you go outside and try it? We have people on here who get little or no reception until they leave their house. No idea why, but it's a way to elimimate a couple of other things...

Next, what apps have you downloaded lately? Are you using a task killer or an anti virus app? Let us know what happens...

Have you called verizon?? Sounds like a network issue, maybe a tower down in your area??

No home phone line, just a cell and comp user at the house. Room mate's asleep so I can't grab his again. I'll have to wait to call Verizon in the morning.

I know it sounds stupid, but can you go outside and try it? We have people on here who get little or no reception until they leave their house. No idea why, but it's a way to elimimate a couple of other things...

Next, what apps have you downloaded lately? Are you using a task killer or an anti virus app? Let us know what happens...

Tried to make the "activation" call from outside as well, No dice. Still got the "Programming Unsuccessful" notification box. This isn't a 3G area but I've never had service problems (generally 1x). Had Adv Task Killer but uninstalled recently, but doesn't really matter now that I've done the factory reset, right?

No home phone line, just a cell and comp user at the house. Room mate's asleep so I can't grab his again. I'll have to wait to call Verizon in the morning.

Tried to make the "activation" call from outside as well, No dice. Still got the "Programming Unsuccessful" notification box. This isn't a 3G area but I've never had service problems (generally 1x). Had Adv Task Killer but uninstalled recently, but doesn't really matter now that I've done the factory reset, right?

Right (duh). Sorry. Well, call Verizon in the morning and see what they have to say. Let us know what happens....:blink:

Right (duh). Sorry. Well, call Verizon in the morning and see what they have to say. Let us know what happens....:blink:

Will do, thanks for the look though I appreciate it.

Will do, thanks for the look though I appreciate it.

And we'll all be here again tomorrow, so log on any time! Hope this hasn't discouraged you - it really is an awesome phone. ;)

So apparently a power surge on the network can cause a flux of signal strength. Said flux can drop devices from the mobile network and if they are not in a 3G area they "may or may not" have difficulty getting back on the network... So says Verizon/MOTO Droid tech support. Had to drive almost 45 min to get into a Verizon 3G area in order to activate my droid after a factory reset. sweetness. But the Droid is back up and running for me so that's what's important. Thanks for the tips, and hopefully this helps some others

So apparently a power surge on the network can cause a flux of signal strength. Said flux can drop devices from the mobile network and if they are not in a 3G area they "may or may not" have difficulty getting back on the network... So says Verizon/MOTO Droid tech support. Had to drive almost 45 min to get into a Verizon 3G area in order to activate my droid after a factory reset. sweetness. But the Droid is back up and running for me so that's what's important. Thanks for the tips, and hopefully this helps some others

YAY! Glad to hear it was 'THEM' and not 'you'... :D

Back