If I sell my bionic what do I need to do for the next owner

rjcapp

Reaction score
I am forever rooted with the 5.5.893 OTA.......

What do I need to do to sell the phone:

a) if the buyer doesnt want root
b) if the buyer wants to keep root

huge thanks in advance

1 A) if the next owner doesn't want root, restore a backup that was made before rooting. If you didn't make one yourself, you can do a forum or google search for a non-root backup (may have to word it a little differently, and no guarantee someone else's backup will work on your phone).

1 B) if they want root, proceed to step 2.

2) rooted or not, remove any SD card in the phone unless you're including it in the sale, then do a full "factory data reset". This will put the phone back as if it'd just come out of the box (except it will be rooted if you didn't do the backup step).

3) turn the phone off, then prepare it for shipping.

Good luck :)

I am forever rooted with the 5.5.893 OTA.......

What do I need to do to sell the phone:

a) if the buyer doesnt want root
b) if the buyer wants to keep root

huge thanks in advance
Don't care about if it's unroot nor rooted price speaks!;)

1 A) if the next owner doesn't want root, restore a backup that was made before rooting. If you didn't make one yourself, you can do a forum or google search for a non-root backup (may have to word it a little differently, and no guarantee someone else's backup will work on your phone).

1 B) if they want root, proceed to step 2.

2) rooted or not, remove any SD card in the phone unless you're including it in the sale, then do a full "factory data reset". This will put the phone back as if it'd just come out of the box (except it will be rooted if you didn't do the backup step).

3) turn the phone off, then prepare it for shipping.

Good luck :)

I would imagine you would also want to pull your SIM card. Or would that be necessary?

I would imagine you would also want to pull your SIM card. Or would that be necessary?

It's only necessary if both of these conditions hold true:
1) the SIM's been activated on his account for use by him, and
2) the phone the OP is getting to replace the bionic also requires or has room for a SIM

In all honesty, I would probably remove it anyway if it were me,just because one can never be too careful with their personal info, and while I can't remember what, I do know SIMs carry some personal info on them (hence why carriers who use them such as AT&T and T-mobile remove them and put them in a new phone when one does business with them).

My apologies to the OP and any others that refer to the steps I provided for the omission of the SIM card removal...I wasn't aware the bionic had one.

EDIT:

He can pull out the SIM card but not the SD card,just format,that's it!

Thanks, willboy. This walkthrough also assumes an external card has been installed. If you're just using the phone's internal memory, then disregard the SD card removal part.

Last edited:
Huge thanks! Once again the Droid community comes thru!
I will factory reset, wipe the sd card, and keep the simm.

Back